Malaysia

I left music body due to personal reasons, not royalty controversy: Altimet

Artiste says payment issue being leveraged, sensationalised by some with personal agendas

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Jun 2021 9:00AM

I left music body due to personal reasons, not royalty controversy: Altimet
Altimet, a rapper turned producer, stepped down from the Recording Performers Malaysia board on December 13 last year. – PETRA News pic, June 25, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – Rapper-turned-producer Altimet has revealed that his resignation as a Recording Performers Malaysia Bhd (RPM) board member was due to personal reasons, and not the controversy over the disbursement of funds by the royalty collection body.

Setting the record straight in an interview with The Vibes, the 42-year-old artiste attributed his departure from RPM, which represents recording performers who are music copyright owners, to his own career objectives.

“It isn’t in line with my plans, my current plans. It’s not in line. It’s personal,” said Altimet, whose real name is Syed Ahmad Syed Abdul Rahman Alhadad.

He stepped down from the RPM board on December 13 last year. At the time, it was reported that he was “disappointed” with the issues faced by the organisation.

Berita Harian quoted him as saying his time with the body had ended, as “there is nothing more to be contributed productively in RPM”.

“I don’t want to worsen the situation. It is better that I am replaced by someone who can give more benefit.”

In late November last year, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission launched an investigation into the alleged misappropriation of funds from music royalties received by industry players.

The claims were made against royalty collectors, who purportedly failed to pay artistes and song composers.

MACC raided the offices of RPM, Public Performance Malaysia Sdn Bhd, Music Authors’ Copyright Protection Bhd, and Performers’ Rights and Interest Society of Malaysia Bhd, among others, after Malaysian Artistes’ Association president Freddie Fernandez urged the anti-graft agency to intervene in a dispute over some RM30 million in unpaid music royalties.

He also met senior MACC officials to discuss issues pertaining to royalties, in particular, those owed to artistes.

On December 10, Deputy Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Rosol Wahid said about 1,000 local music industry practitioners would be given RM500 each in January under a government initiative to resolve the issue of royalty arrears.

Bernama that month reported Rosol as saying the initial payment involved RM11.7 million in arrears in 2018.

He also said the following payment would be made based on music use reports obtained from local television and radio stations.

Asked whether he feels that the “misappropriation” of funds had led to delays in the distribution of royalties, Altimet suggested this is not the reason for the disbursement issue.

“I think it’s solvable, but there are some people sensationalising it. I don’t know what their agenda is, but it doesn’t help,” he said, accusing such quarters of inflaming sentiment among industry players.

“You are using it to emotionally leverage people who move off emotion. Creative people move off emotion.”

The issue involves “accounting periods”, he said, referring to artistes’ individual financial calendars.

“I learnt about accounting periods early on in my career. Sometimes, you don’t get royalty this year, because it wasn’t collected (by collection bodies) the year before.”

For example, said Altimet, he was still waiting this year for royalties for songs he published at the end of 2019.

“Logically, (if the music was released) in 2019, you should get it (royalties) in 2020. But, there are accounting periods. Different people have different accounting periods.

“Even if these collection bodies pay you in August of every year, they are not going to collect (the royalties) all the way up to August. They are going to stop maybe three to six months before August.” 

Elaborating on the issue of delayed payments, he gave the example of a radio station that pays royalties late, affecting when the payment is made to the artiste, who is the copyright owner.

“That’s one of the main reasons why the amount (royalties) is still being kept.”

Asked whether the matter has been blown out of proportion, he reiterated that it is being leveraged “to achieve some people’s agenda”. – The Vibes, June 25, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia / 1d

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

Malaysia / 5d

RCI TH: MACC detains 7, including those with 'Datuk' and 'Datuk Seri' titles

Malaysia / 6d

MACC, Customs task force must become catalyst for smarter border and better container governance

Malaysia / 1w

MACC, police probing TH after RCI findings as govt warns no one will be spared

Malaysia / 2w

Former PM Ismail Sabri expected to be charged tomorrow

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

Malaysia

SK Air Hitam Labu student among three killed after being hit by immigration truck

Malaysia

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia

Anwar unveils first online 9.9 Jualan Ihsan Rahmah sale for Malaysians

Malaysia

Jana Wibawa witness: Muhyiddin never asked for RM1m Bersatu donation

Malaysia

Former investment bank CEO charged with RM139.8m fraud

Malaysia

Sarawak puts harmony with nature at heart of tourism pitch to global travel industry