Malaysia

What ‘total’ lockdown: we could have avoided crisis with proper controls, says Zahid

Umno president highlights closure of 100,000 businesses due to govt ‘failure’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Jul 2021 11:46PM

What ‘total’ lockdown: we could have avoided crisis with proper controls, says Zahid
Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi says that with a proper lockdown, the government could have helped with the people’s livelihoods. – Bernama pic, July 28, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – The government could have avoided the economic dilemma the country is facing with the Covid-19 pandemic if it had ensured the lockdowns were truly “total”, Umno president Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said today.

Pointing to the Malaysian Employers Federation’s (MEF) recent revelation that 100,000 businesses ceased operations since last year to date, he said that its failure had led to massive unemployment.

“Employers lost revenue, workers lost wages. What is their fate now?” he asked in a post on Instagram.

“However, the statements we often hear from the government are sugar-coated.”

The former deputy prime minister’s remarks were accompanied by a screenshot of an article published yesterday by Malay-language daily Kosmo titled “100,000 perniagaan tutup operasi” (100,000 businesses close operations).

In the article, MEF chairman Datuk Syed Hussain Syed Husman J.P. is quoted as saying that 32,000 employers had closed shop, leaving 107,000 out of jobs in 2020 alone.

Syed Hussain also urged the government to allow businesses to reopen so as to avoid more commercial operations from closing, and reduce the mental burden faced by workers and employers.

MEF’s plea comes as the country has of late recorded five-digit figures in daily Covid-19 cases, on some days exceeding the record-breaking 17,000 mark over the past two weeks.

Zahid said the people were forced to bear this dilemma due to the “failure” of the government.

“We are at a loss. If only the government listened to our advice before this. Had they ensured that a ‘total lockdown’ was truly ‘total’, maybe this dilemma could have been avoided.

“As I said before, it (lockdown) is not forever. It is only for until we can successfully isolate and treat those who are infected.”

Zahid added that with a proper lockdown, the government could also help with the people’s livelihoods.

“But what is to be done now that failure has been reached?” he asked. “I pray that all who are affected will overcome the challenges.” – The Vibes, July 28, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

BN, UMNO preparing to ‘back stab’ unity government - Puad Zarkashi

Malaysia / 3d

DAP faced a Hobson’s choice

Malaysia / 5d

Anwar dismisses KJ’s claims of strained relations with Zahid

Malaysia / 6d

DAP must have an 'exit clause' if it opts to remain in government - Ramkarpal

Malaysia / 1w

Guan Eng questions Penang PH's stance on UMNO

Malaysia / 1w

While the focus is on condemning the Madani government, a coup d'état is in process

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Five arrested as Johor police open three probes into reversed state and Malaysian flags

Malaysia

Elephant footprints spark fear among Felda Chalok Rahmat residents

Malaysia

Anwar: Malaysia’s One China policy has not changed since 1974

Malaysia

Online scam content removed surges 15-fold to nearly 100,000 in Malaysia

Malaysia

Prices of RON97, RON95 and diesel up 10-20 sen for Aug 20-26

Malaysia

AUKU repeal to focus on universities, not students, says Fahmi

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Student involved in bullying case remanded, released on bail

Malaysia

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence