Malaysia

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court

A 47-year-old woman was killed after an iron pole collapsed and struck her head when a car driven by a 35-year-old man crashed into a food court in Bandar Mahkota Cheras early Saturday

Updated 4 hours ago · Published on 22 Aug 2026 2:19PM

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court
Investigations find that the 35-year-old driver allegedly stepped on the accelerator, causing the vehicle to enter the dining area of the food court - August 22, 2026

A 47-YEAR-OLD woman was killed after an iron pole collapsed and struck her head when a car crashed into a food court in Bandar Mahkota Cheras early Saturday.

Kajang district police chief Assistant Commissioner Naazron Abdul Yusof said the incident occurred at about 1.15am and involved a car and the woman, who was a pedestrian.

Preliminary investigations found that the 35-year-old driver had allegedly pressed the accelerator, causing the vehicle to enter the dining area of the food court before turning back towards the exit.

“At the same time, the victim, a 47-year-old woman, is believed to have run towards the vehicle in an attempt to prevent or stop it.

“However, the car collided with an iron pole, causing the pole to collapse and strike the victim on the head,” he said in a statement on Saturday.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel after suffering severe head injuries.

The driver was also injured and taken to hospital for treatment and for samples to be taken.

Naazron said the driver had been arrested and checks found that he had no previous criminal record.

“He is still receiving treatment at hospital,” he said.

The case is being investigated under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless or dangerous driving causing death.

If convicted, the offender faces imprisonment of between five and 10 years, a maximum fine of RM50,000 and disqualification from holding a driving licence for at least five years.

Police have urged anyone with information about the incident to contact the nearest police station or Kajang District Police Headquarters traffic investigating officer Inspector Mohd Raziman Rasid at 019-456 5502 to assist the investigation.

Naazron also advised all road users to remain vigilant, drive responsibly and comply with traffic regulations for the safety of everyone. - August 22, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

BN puts ‘benefit versus harm’ at heart of Melaka election alliance talks

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise

Malaysia

Sarawak haze worsens as 10 areas record unhealthy air quality

Malaysia

Two local firms get access to Arm technology in push for homegrown chip design

Malaysia

Govt agency chairman, four others remanded 4 days over alleged RM1.96m Penang land loss