World

Israel detrains around 100 activists after naval raid on Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla

Israeli forces boarded and seized multiple humanitarian vessels in international waters near Cyprus after surrounding the Global Sumud convoy, intensifying international scrutiny over Gaza’s blockade

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 18 May 2026 6:33PM

Israel detrains around 100 activists after naval raid on Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla
Israeli naval forces moved to intercept the Global Sumud Flotilla as ships approached Gaza through international waters - May 18, 2026

ISRAELI naval forces have reportedly detained around 100 international activists after launching a coordinated operation to intercept and seize vessels participating in the Global Sumud Flotilla mission bound for Gaza.

The operation unfolded in international waters near Cyprus after Israeli warships surrounded the humanitarian convoy and ordered all vessels to halt their engines before commandos boarded several ships, according to flotilla organisers and regional media reports.

AlJazeera reported on Monday that the latest confrontation marks one of the most significant maritime interceptions involving pro-Palestinian humanitarian missions in recent years and is expected to heighten diplomatic and humanitarian pressure over Israel’s long-running blockade on Gaza.

Flotilla organisers said the convoy had been travelling through international waters while attempting to establish a humanitarian maritime corridor into Gaza, carrying hundreds of volunteers, activists and aid supplies intended for civilians inside the Palestinian enclave.

“Military ships are currently blocking our fleet and Israeli forces are boarding our first vessel during daylight hours,” the flotilla said in a statement issued during the operation.

The Global Sumud Flotilla departed from Marmaris, Türkiye, last Thursday with 54 vessels and participants from approximately 70 countries, including doctors, journalists, lawyers and international humanitarian activists.

According to organisers, Israeli naval vessels and fast boats had been shadowing the flotilla hours before the interception began. Sources cited by regional media said at least four Israeli warships participated in the operation.

Israeli media outlet Channel 12 reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held security consultations with military officials regarding the flotilla and was expected to monitor developments from naval command headquarters.

Israeli officials reportedly insisted that no vessel would be allowed to breach the naval blockade imposed on Gaza since 2007.

The operation initially focused on securing larger vessels leading the convoy, with Israeli authorities indicating the process of taking control of the flotilla could continue into the following day.

Among the vessels identified by organisers as being involved in the convoy were Zefiro, Cabo Blanco and Elengi.

Israeli media further reported that detained activists would be transferred to the port of Ashdod for documentation procedures before deportation proceedings are carried out.

Despite the military interception, activists aboard remaining vessels reportedly vowed to continue the mission towards Gaza.

One participant speaking via satellite phone reportedly said the convoy would not abandon its humanitarian objective despite Israeli military action.

Campaign organisers accused Israel of carrying out what they described as acts of “piracy” aimed at preserving the blockade on Gaza and warned against the “normalisation of violence” against humanitarian missions operating in international waters.

The incident comes amid heightened geopolitical instability across the Middle East, including ongoing maritime tensions, regional military escalation and repeated warnings by Iranian leaders concerning strategic waterways such as the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman.

The seizure of the flotilla is expected to intensify global debate over humanitarian access to Gaza and could trigger renewed diplomatic pressure from governments and international organisations demanding unrestricted aid access to the territory. - May 18, 2026

See Video her (via X) :https://www.facebook.com/share/r/1EHB3SZkeH/

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline