World

Bomb blasts near Damascus hotel during Macron visit highlight Syria’s fragile security

The blast injures 18 people but leaves the French leader's schedule unaffected as authorities launched a search for those responsible

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 07 Jul 2026 5:50PM

Bomb blasts near Damascus hotel during Macron visit highlight Syria’s fragile security
Two explosions struck near the hotel hosting French President Emmanuel Macron during his landmark visit to Syria (Photo from Reuters) - July 7, 2026

TWO bombs exploded near the hotel where French President Emmanuel Macron was meeting civil society representatives in Damascus on Tuesday, injuring 18 people and underscoring the fragile security environment confronting Syria's new leadership despite the country's ongoing political transition.

The blasts occurred in a busy district between Syria's Ministry of Tourism and the National Museum, directly opposite the Four Seasons Hotel, shortly after Macron's motorcade departed for the Presidential Palace to meet Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa.

Syrian state media reported that 18 people were injured, including four police officers.

Reuters footage captured flames and smoke rising from the scene after the first explosion, while a second blast erupted moments later just metres away, next to an ambulance that had arrived after the initial incident. Thick black smoke billowed into the air as emergency personnel battled the fire and secured the area.

Despite the explosions, the French presidency said Macron was unaware of the blasts while travelling in his motorcade and proceeded with his scheduled engagements.

According to the Élysée Palace, the explosions were not audible from the presidential convoy, and journalists accompanying Macron also reported hearing no disturbance during the journey to the Presidential Palace.

Macron later held talks with President Ahmed al-Sharaa, with official photographs showing the two leaders meeting alongside senior Syrian officials and military commanders.

Syrian security forces immediately launched search operations to identify those responsible for the attack.

A security source told Syrian state television that roads surrounding the blast site were sealed off while extensive security measures were implemented.

Macron's visit marks the first by a head of state from a major European Union country since rebel forces led by Sharaa overthrew former president Bashar al-Assad in 2024, ending more than five decades of Assad family rule.

The visit was intended to demonstrate international support for Syria's political transition under Sharaa, whose government has sought closer ties with Western and Middle Eastern nations as it works to rebuild the country after more than a decade of civil war.

However, Tuesday's attack highlighted the continuing threat posed by militant groups.

During Syria's conflict, extremist organisations including Islamic State established significant footholds across the country.

Last week, a bomb attack at a café in Damascus killed nine people and injured 20 others. No group claimed responsibility.

Islamic State has, however, claimed a series of attacks against Syrian government forces since February, when the group announced what it described as a new phase of operations targeting Sharaa's administration.

While Sharaa has pledged to establish an inclusive political order following the fall of the Assad government, his administration continues to face significant security challenges, including recurring violence involving pro-government forces and members of religious and ethnic minority communities. - July 7, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China