World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

Two Cleveland Police officers and five others have died after a car travelling the wrong way collided with a police vehicle on the A66 near Middlesbrough

Updated 2 minutes ago · Published on 23 Aug 2026 5:37PM

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66
Authorities describe the tragedy as an “unimaginable loss” (Photo from X) - August 23, 2026

TWO police officers have been killed alongside five other people after a car travelling the wrong way on the A66 collided with a Cleveland Police vehicle near Middlesbrough in the early hours of Saturday.

PC Matthew Blades, 37, and PC Tom Clough, 38, died in the crash, which occurred at about 3.39am BST.

The five occupants of the Volkswagen Passat, who were believed to be in their late teens to early 20s, also died. Their identities have not yet been released.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the crash.

The BBC understands a police pursuit involving the vehicle had ended before the collision, while the police vehicle occupied by Blades and Clough was in the South Bank area at the time.

Cleveland Police Chief Constable Victoria Fuller described the incident as an “incredibly sad day for Cleveland”, saying: “No one should leave their home and not return safely.”

Fuller said she and Deputy Chief Constable Jason Harwin had visited the officers’ families to offer their condolences and support as they came to terms with the deaths.

Tributes have poured in for the two officers, with political leaders and colleagues describing their deaths as a devastating loss.

Redcar MP Anna Turley said seven lives had been “cut short needlessly”, describing the incident as a tragedy for the local community and the Cleveland Police family.

She also paid tribute to the bravery of Blades and Clough, saying police officers should be able to return home to their families at the end of their shifts.

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen described the incident as a “horrible and tragic” event, saying police officers were “heroes who put everything on the line to protect us”.

Cleveland Police Federation chairwoman Lauren Somerville said the loss of the officers was “unfathomable”, adding that words could not describe the pain felt by the force.

The IOPC said its investigation was mandatory because the deaths followed police contact.

Its director of investigations, Nicola Marfleet, described the crash as a “tragic incident” and said the watchdog’s thoughts were with the families, friends and emergency services affected.

The watchdog said its preliminary understanding was that Cleveland Police had spotted a suspicious vehicle before a pursuit began.

Security footage from a house on Lime Road in Middlesbrough appeared to show a car being pursued by police vehicles about three minutes before the fatal collision.

The IOPC investigation will establish the circumstances leading up to the crash, including the police pursuit and events immediately before the collision.

Cleveland Police and Crime Commissioner Matt Storey urged the public not to speculate or spread unverified information while the investigation is under way.

Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp also called for the IOPC to be given the time and space to complete its investigation without speculation.

The A66, a major route through Teesside, remained closed on Sunday as police continued their work at the scene. - August 23, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China