Business

Google hit with third antitrust suit

Combined suits biggest alliance since case against Microsoft decades ago

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 18 Dec 2020 7:10AM

Google hit with third antitrust suit
Google has been accused of making deals to shut out competitors and endeavoured to lock out rivals, while getting its search and advertising systems into smart speakers, cars, smartphones and more. – December 18, 2020

SAN FRANCISCO – Dozens of states in the United States yesterday hit Google with its third antitrust suit in as many months, accusing the internet giant of abusing its internet search dominance to eliminate competition.

The suit by antitrust enforcers from 38 US states and territories is in line with, but goes beyond, a case filed by the US Justice Department against Google and its parent firm Alphabet earlier this year.

“Google’s anticompetitive actions have protected its general search monopolies and excluded rivals, depriving consumers of the benefits of competitive choices, forestalling innovation and undermining new entry or expansion,” said Colorado attorney-general Phil Weiser.

Nebraska attorney-general Doug Peterson called the antitrust assault on Google “historic”, saying the combined suits represented the biggest alliance since a case against Microsoft decades ago.

The suit came a day after a group of states led by Texas filed a separate antitrust suit, and asks to be consolidated with the federal case against Google.

The internet giant said the case will end up harming consumers if successful.

Google economic policy director Adam Cohen said in a post that the lawsuit “seeks to redesign search in ways that will deprive Americans of helpful information and hurt businesses’ ability to connect directly with customers”.

According to the internet giant, changes sought by the lawsuit will make search results worse for people searching on Google and businesses wanting to be found.

Matt Schruers, president of the Computer and Communications Industry Association, a technology trade group, said the suit is a misguided effort to force Google to redesign its search engine without regard to consumer interests.

“Search design has been benefiting from constant redesign and updates, and regulators in the US and abroad have concluded this has improved consumers’ experience,” he said.

Cars and speakers

The new suit charges that Google made deals to shut out competitors and endeavoured to lock out rivals, while getting its search and advertising systems into smart speakers, cars, smartphones and more.

“We are in a new time, a new era, and it is very critical that we in the field of enforcement in competition remain very engaged in the tech industry going forward,” Peterson said.

With Google’s services made available free of charge and economic harm to users tricky to prove, antitrust litigation might not be the most effective way to go at the internet giant, some attorneys-general taking part in the new suit conceded in a video call.

“Policymakers, Congress in particular, should be thinking of some regulation beyond antitrust,” Iowa attorney-general Tom Miller said on the call. – AFP, December 18, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 9h

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 3w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir