Business

US puts Cuba bank on restricted list, cites army links

It comes amid speculation that Donald Trump administration weighing whether to redesignate island as state sponsor of terrorism

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Jan 2021 9:29AM

US puts Cuba bank on restricted list, cites army links
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo describes Banco Financiero Internacional as ‘a Cuban military-controlled commercial bank that benefits directly from financial transactions at the expense of the Cuban people’. – AFP pic, January 2, 2021

WASHINGTON – The United States yesterday placed a Cuban bank on a list of restricted entities, saying its profits “disproportionately benefit the Cuban military” and help fund “Cuba’s interference in Venezuela”.

The State Department announced the addition of Banco Financiero Internacional (BFI) to its Cuba Restricted List, which generally prohibits direct financial transactions with listed entities.

“BFI is a Cuban military-controlled commercial bank that benefits directly from financial transactions at the expense of the Cuban people”, while giving “preferential access” to military and state companies, said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a statement.

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez tweeted: “I reject new punitive measure of #US State Department to tighten blockade against #Cuba.

“The inclusion of Cuban entities in its lists is intended to reinforce an economic siege that has failed to destroy the Cuban Revolution after 62 years.”

Washington’s move comes amid speculation that the Donald Trump administration, in its waning days, is weighing whether to redesignate the island as a state sponsor of terrorism.

Such a move, which would severely impede foreign investment, could hinder the diplomacy of president-elect Joe Biden.

The State Department has drawn up a proposal to that effect, according to The New York Times, which said it is unclear if Pompeo will sign off on it. 

Earlier in the week, Rodriguez repeated a frequent complaint that the US itself shelters “terrorist groups acting against Cuba”.

Cuban-American anti-communist activists deny any wrongdoing.

US Representative Gregory Meeks, the incoming chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, has warned Pompeo against making the terrorism designation.

“This would clearly be another stunt by President Trump and Pompeo, trying to tie the hands of the incoming Biden administration on their way out the door.”

A State Department spokesman declined to comment on “potential deliberations regarding designations”.

Tomorrow will mark the 60th anniversary of the US severing relations with the island, following the latter’s communist revolution.

Tensions eased under president Barack Obama, who established diplomatic relations and removed Cuba from the terror list in 2015.

Biden, who was Obama’s vice-president, has given only broad details of his Cuba policy, but has indicated that he will again relax some restrictions, while still raising concerns on human rights. – AFP, January 2, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Malaysia / 2y

Penang-born fugitive Fat Leonard sent back to the US

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST