Business

Tech giant Xiaomi reels as US ramps up China blacklist

Its shares dive 11% after announcement, which also targeted Chinese oil giant CNOOC

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 15 Jan 2021 12:20PM

Tech giant Xiaomi reels as US ramps up China blacklist
Xiaomi, one of the world’s biggest smartphone makers, has been blacklisted by the United States, the latest salvo by the White House against Beijing. – AFP pic, January 15, 2021

HONG KONG – Shares in Xiaomi collapsed today after the United States blacklisted the smartphone giant and a host of other Chinese firms, as the President Donald Trump’s administration aims to cement its trade war legacy against Beijing.

The flurry of last-minute blacklistings is the coda to four years of aggressive diplomatic and trade policies towards rival China under Trump.

With just six days to go before Trump leaves office, US officials made a series of announcements targeting Chinese firms, including state oil giant CNOOC, Xiaomi and embattled social media favourite TikTok.

Xiaomi, which overtook Apple last year to become the world’s third-largest smartphone manufacturer, was one of nine new firms classified by the Pentagon as “Communist Chinese military companies”.

The action means US investors will be unable to purchase Xiaomi securities, and will ultimately have to divest down the line unless the order is overturned by the incoming presidency of Joe Biden.

Xiaomi is one of the biggest companies to be blacklisted so far, and its shares plunged 11% in Hong Kong today after the announcement. US chip giant Qualcomm is a major investor.

In a statement, the Defence Department said it is “determined to highlight and counter the People’s Republic of China’s military-civil fusion development strategy” that allowed it to access key technology and security data.

Similar actions have been made by the US against other tech firms, including Huawei and chip giant SMIC, hobbling their ability to import key technology and compete internationally. – AFP, January 15, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 20h

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 1d

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 2d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Events / 5d

Over 700 students from over 20 countries gather in Hong Kong summit

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert