Business

Felda’s offer for FGV too low, say directors

Offer price of RM1.30 per share below fair value by RHB of RM1.42-RM1.60, says FGV Holdings Bhd

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 22 Jan 2021 5:24PM

Felda’s offer for FGV too low, say directors
FGV Holdings Bhd's directors say the management of FGV have since 2019 implemented a transformation programme focusing on operational improvements and strengthening the governance and accountability in line with FGV’s status as a public listed company. – SAIRIEN NAFIS/The Vibes pic, January 22, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – The non-interested directors of FGV Holdings Bhd (FGV) have recommended that the company’s shareholders reject the mandatory take-over offer by the Federal Land Development Authority (Felda) due to the lower fair value offered at RM1.30 per share.

In a statement, FGV said the recommendation was made after careful examination of the terms and conditions of the offer and the rationale for the offer and future plans for FGV Group and its employees as disclosed in the offer document. 

“Taking into consideration the opinions, views and recommendations by RHB Investment Bank Bhd (RHB IB), being the independent adviser for the offer, the offer price is ‘not fair’ as it is below the fair value by RHB IB which ranges from RM1.42 to RM1.60 per FGV share, or a discount of 8.5% to 18.8%,” said FGV. 

RHB IB said it was of the view that the offer is “not fair but reasonable”, based on its evaluation of the offer, and recommended that the minority shareholders accept the offer. 

This was due to FGV not receiving any alternative proposals for the offer shares, including any offer to acquire the assets and liabilities of FGV Group. 

The non-interested directors of FGV, namely Datuk Yusli Mohamed Yusoff, Datuk Mohd Anwar Yahya, Datin Hoi Lai Ping, Dr Mohamed Nazeeb P. Alithambi and Dr Nesadurai Kalanithi, have not concurred with the recommendation made by RHB IB for shareholders to accept the offer.

The directors said the management of FGV had since 2019 implemented a transformation programme, namely Business Plan 2019-2021, focusing on operational improvements and strengthening the governance and accountability in line with FGV’s status as a public listed company.

“Keeping FGV as a PLC will ensure the transparency and timely disclosures of FGV, being one of the largest plantation companies in the world in terms of crude palm oil production with over three million tonnes produced in 2019.”

In recommending shareholders to accept the offer, RHB IB also said that Felda and people acting in concert with it have a collective shareholding of 54.09% as at Jan 15, 2021, which provides them control over matters and are able to determine the outcome of resolutions sought at general meetings of FGV. 

The number of FGV shares acquired by Felda so far this week amounted to 66 million shares. 

On January 12, Felda issued an offer document in relation to its unconditional mandatory takeover offer for all remaining shares in FGV which it does not own, except treasury shares.

Felda also said it does not intend to maintain the listing status of FGV on the main market of Bursa Malaysia.

Shareholders will have until 5pm on February 2, 2021 to accept the offer, unless revised or extended.

Any such revision or extension will be announced by Maybank Investment Bank Bhd, the principal adviser on behalf of Felda, at least two days before the closing date, and notice of such revision or extension will be posted to the shareholders accordingly.

At 3.55pm today, FGV shares were flat at RM1.30 with 3.53 million shares transacted, while its market capitalisation stood at RM4.74 billion. – Bernama, January 22, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Government to repeal Universities Act, continue to uncover Felda issues

Malaysia / 1mth

Bung’s widow cleared of abetting late husband in RM2.8m corruption case

Malaysia / 1mth

Future of fishermen, coastal economy priorities for Tanjung Surat PH candidate

Malaysia / 1mth

Anwar unveils seven incentives for Felda settlers at 70th anniversary celebration

Malaysia / 1mth

Review dismissed, Mohd Isa remains in prison for six years

Malaysia / 1mth

PM denies any order to prevent Onn Hafiz from entering FELDA

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets