Business

[UPDATED] US port personnel ordered to seize Top Glove goods

Customs and Border Protection alleges forced labour in Malaysian production of disposable gloves

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Mar 2021 10:10AM

[UPDATED] US port personnel ordered to seize Top Glove goods
Top Glove says its US lawyers are liaising with CBP representatives to get more clarity on claims of forced labour in its production process. – The Vibes file pic, March 30, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has directed personnel at all US ports of entry to begin seizing disposable gloves produced in Malaysia by Top Glove Corp Bhd.

The CBP Office of Trade, in consultation with the Treasury secretary, has published alleged forced labour findings against disposable gloves produced by Top Glove in the customs bulletin and federal register.

Merchandise covered by forced labour findings is subject to seizure upon arrival at a US port of entry.

“The (alleged) forced labour findings are the result of a month-long CBP investigation aimed at preventing goods made by modern slavery from entering US commerce,” said Troy Miller, the senior official performing the duties of CBP commissioner, in a statement.

He said CBP will not tolerate foreign companies’ exploitation of vulnerable workers to sell cheap and unethically made goods to US consumers.

The findings expand on a withhold release order (WRO) that CBP issued in July last year.

The WRO was based on reasonable, but not conclusive, information that multiple forced labour indicators exist in Top Glove’s production process, including debt bondage, excessive overtime, abusive working and living conditions, and retention of identity documents.

The company, in a statement, said its US lawyers are liaising with CBP representatives to get more clarity and information on the agency’s finding information document.

“Top Glove earlier submitted a report prepared by an independent international consultant, Impactt, to CBP for review.”

Impactt was appointed by the firm last July to verify its labour practices.

The consultant, in a statement on March 9, confirmed that as of January, and considering Top Glove’s ongoing actions, the CBP findings do not amount to systemic forced labour.

Impactt’s full statement can be viewed here.

In a filing with Bursa Malaysia, Top Glove said at this juncture, the company is unable to ascertain the quantum of the financial and operational impact arising from the goods seizure.

“The company will take all the necessary steps to address the (forced labour) issue, and shall make the necessary announcement as appropriate when there are further developments.”

Losses in Top Glove shares weighed on the key index in the early session.

At 12pm, the firm lost 23 sen, or 4.55%, to RM4.82, with 38.04 million units changing hands. – Bernama, March 30, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Malaysia / 2y

Penang-born fugitive Fat Leonard sent back to the US

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir