Business

Top China, US trade officials hold ‘candid’ first talks

Discussions held amid intense competition between world’s top 2 economies

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 May 2021 1:40PM

Top China, US trade officials hold ‘candid’ first talks
Both US and China appeared hopeful over the phone exchange between their respective leading trade officials over their trade pact signed last year. – AFP pic, May 27, 2021

BEIJING – Trade officials from the US and China have held “candid, pragmatic” talks, China’s Commerce Ministry said today, their first discussions with the Biden administration as Washington scrutinises whether Beijing is holding up its end of a trade pact.

A bruising trade war under President Donald Trump saw punitive tariffs lumped on a range of goods sold between the world’s two biggest economies.

The two countries signed a so-called “Phase 1” agreement in January 2020, in which Beijing pledged to increase its purchases of American products and services by at least US$200 billion (RM828.5 billion) over 2020 and 2021.

But top US trade negotiator Katherine Tai has said she is analysing whether the terms of that pact have been met by China, with some experts saying Beijing is falling up to 40% short on its agreement to buy US goods.

China’s Commerce Ministry statement today said Chinese Vice-Premier Liu He and Tai spoke in “constructive exchanges in an attitude of equality and mutual respect".

Under the agreement, the pair are meant to check in every six months on the progress of the agreement.

The first phase deal aimed to end a damaging two-year trade war launched by former president Trump, which battered relations between the two countries.

It commits China to buying tens of billions of dollars worth of American agricultural goods, energy and services in exchange for slashing the tariffs on US$120 billion of Chinese exports.

However, a 25% levy on a further US$250 billion of Chinese goods remains.

A short statement from the US Trade Representative’s Office confirmed the “introductory virtual meeting” between Tai and He. 

“During their candid exchange,” Tai laid out the “guiding principles of the Biden-Harris administration’s trade policy... while also raising issues of concern”.

Biden’s administration has not rowed back on the tough trade rhetoric, insisting it will keep those tariffs in place for now as he looks to reboot the American economy, which was hit hard by the pandemic early on but has regained its footing.

On its side, China has maintained duties on some imports from the United States.

China’s economy has bounced back on exports during the pandemic.

Beijing was the first major economy to virtually extinguish the coronavirus outbreak inside its borders, leading to a rebound of economic activity, especially at the factory gate. 

Sales of Chinese-made goods have soared across the rest of the world, which has in large areas seen people trapped at home. – AFP, May 27, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 11h

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

Malaysia / 2d

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 4d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Six per cent growth proves Malaysia's economy remains resilient - PM

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns