Business

EU court to rule on Brussels’ €4.3 billion fine against Google

Verdict can undo or demand changes to landmark decision made in 2018

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 14 Sep 2022 1:43PM

EU court to rule on Brussels’ €4.3 billion fine against Google
The European Union’s second-highest court will decide whether Brussels stepped over the line it delivering a record-breaking fine to Google for an antitrust case. – AFP pic, September 14, 202

LUXEMBOURG – The European Union’s second-highest court will rule today whether Brussels went too far in handing Google a 4.3 billion euro (RM19.45 billion) fine over its Android operating system for mobile phones.

The decision by the Luxembourg-based general court could undo or demand modifications to the landmark decision, taken by the European Commission in 2018, which remains the EU’s biggest-ever antitrust fine.

Google urged a panel of EU judges last year to throw out the decision it argued was unfounded and falsely relied on accusations it imposed its search engine and Chrome browser on Android phones.

The company also said that the EU was unfairly blind to the strength of Apple, which imposes or gives clear preference to its own services such as Safari on iPhones.

Google insisted that downloading rival apps was only a click away and that customers were in no way tied to Google products on Android.

The EU and complainants responded that Google used contracts with phone makers in the early days of Android to stifle rivals.

This was done “at a critical time in the development of mobile computing when the market was still contestable”, said Thomas Vinje, a lawyer representing FairSearch, whose original complaint launched the case in 2013.

The decision by the General Court is unlikely to be the end of the story. Both sides can turn to the EU’s highest court, the European Court of Justice, for a final say on the 4.3-billion-euro fine, which was the equivalent of US$5 billion when levied.

The Android case was the third of three major cases brought against Google by the EU’s competition czar Margrethe Vestager. Their legal challenges were the first worldwide to take on the Silicon Valley giants directly.

Since then, global regulators have followed suit, with Google facing a barrage of cases in the US and Asia based on similar accusations.

Vestager has already won against Google in its appeal of a separate case, the company’s 2.4-billion-euro fine for abusing its search engine dominance. As expected, the tech giant appealed that setback to the high court.

The EU, however, has lost recent cases involving the microchip industry.

Vestager’s team lost an appeal against a US$1 billion fine imposed on Qualcomm in the same court in June.

That followed another setback in January when the EU lost the court’s backing for a 1.06-billion-euro fine on Intel.

Frustrated at the length of time it takes to pursue competition cases, Brussels has since then adopted the Digital Markets Act (DMA), which puts a much tighter leash on the way Big Tech can do business.

The new law, set to come into force next year, would set up a rulebook of do’s and don’ts for Big Tech companies such as Google and Facebook.

The DMA includes specific bans or limits on Google, Apple and other gatekeepers from promoting their own services on platforms. – AFP, September 14, 202

Related News

Malaysia / 5mth

Google investment expected to generate US$3.2 billion, 26,500 jobs

World / 1y

Argentine cop wins USD16,500 after nude picture appears on Google Street View

Malaysia / 2y

Fahmi denies asking Google to disable ringgit currency converter widget

Business / 2y

Google’s ringgit doodle causes a fluster as govt rushes to fact-check and calm nerves

Business / 2y

Malaysia to work with Google on skill opportunities for 300,000 by 2026

Malaysia / 2y

Govt in talks with major online platforms about regulatory framework

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit