Business

Apple never considered removing Twitter from App Store, says Musk

Social media platform’s owner clarifies misunderstanding after meeting tech giant’s CEO Tim Cook

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 01 Dec 2022 11:29AM

Apple never considered removing Twitter from App Store, says Musk
Twitter owner Elon Musk has said he will create a new smartphone if Apple or Google remove the social media platform from their app stores. – Pixabay pic, December 1, 2022

WASHINGTON – Apple chief executive Tim Cook never considered removing Twitter from its App Store despite prior reports that the tech giant was threatening to do so, Twitter owner Elon Musk said.

“Good conversation. Among other things, we resolved the misunderstanding about Twitter potentially being removed from the App Store. Tim was clear that Apple never considered doing so,” Musk said yesterday after a meeting at the Apple headquarters, reported Sputnik.

On Monday, Musk said that Apple threatened to remove Twitter from the App Store, which would make the platform inaccessible to a significant share of the mobile phone market.

Speculation about the purported move was fuelled by reports that Apple executive Phil Schiller was leaving Twitter in the wake of Musk’s reform of the social media platform.

Musk acquired Twitter in October, vowing to bolster protections for free speech. The company has since reinstated many previously suspended accounts, including those of former US president Donald Trump.

Musk said he will create a new smartphone if Apple or Google remove Twitter from their app stores.

Meanwhile, Meta chief executive Mark Zuckerberg said in an interview that Apple’s control over what sort of applications were accessible on their devices is unique and problematic.

“If you look at all the major computing platforms… Apple’s stands out as the only one where one company can control what apps get on the device,” Zuckerberg said yesterday.

“I do think it is problematic for one company to be able to control what kind of app experiences (one can) get on the device.” – Bernama, December 1, 2022

Related News

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Apple rumoured to be launching foldable iPhone next year

World / 1y

SpaceX again loses its Starship rocket on test flight

World / 2y

Apple to pay RM115 mil settlement over discrimination allegations

Malaysia / 2y

Brand new Proton X70 catches fire, becomes viral

Malaysia / 2y

Beyoncé's fan account administrator perplexed over PAS jokes

Tech / 2y

A new iPhone is coming, but what else might Apple’s event bring?

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns