Business

US state of Indiana sues TikTok over child safety, security fears

This comes amid accusations popular app being used as conduit for Chinese espionage

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 08 Dec 2022 11:38AM

US state of Indiana sues TikTok over child safety, security fears
In one of its two suits against TikTok, the US state of Indiana accuses the social media app of deceiving customers into believing their personal data and information are protected from the Chinese government. – Pixabay pic, December 8, 2022

WASHINGTON – TikTok was hit today with a pair of suits from the US state of Indiana, which accused it of making false claims about the Chinese-owned app’s safety for children.

The legal salvo came as problems are mounting for TikTok in the United States, with multiple accusations that the extremely popular app is a national security threat and a conduit for spying by China.

“The TikTok app is a malicious and menacing threat unleashed on unsuspecting Indiana consumers by a Chinese company that knows full well the harms it inflicts on users,” said Attorney-General Todd Rokita in a statement.

The suit said TikTok algorithms served up “abundant content depicting alcohol, tobacco, and drugs; sexual content, nudity, and suggestive themes” to users as young as 13.

The state also sued TikTok for allegedly deceiving customers into believing that “reams of highly sensitive data and personal information” were protected from the Chinese government.

In a statement, a TikTok spokesman did not comment specifically on the case but said “the safety, privacy, and security of our community is our top priority.”

“We build youth well-being into our policies, limit features by age, empower parents with tools and resources, and continue to invest in new ways to enjoy content based on age-appropriateness or family comfort,” the company said.

TikTok is facing a growing front of opposition in the United States, with several states and the US military banning its use on government devices.

Texas today became the latest state to do so, calling for “aggressive action” against TikTok.

The highly popular app is often singled out for its alleged connections to the Beijing government with fears that China is able to use TikTok’s data to track and coerce users around the world.

TikTok is currently in negotiations with the US government to resolve national security concerns, hoping to maintain operations in one of its biggest markets.

TikTok said it was “confident that we’re on a path… to fully satisfy all reasonable US national security concerns.”

The spectacular success of TikTok has seen rival sites such as Meta-owned Instagram or Snapchat struggle to keep up, with once soaring ad revenues taking a hit.

But Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Christopher Wray told lawmakers last month that he is “extremely concerned” about security risks linked to TikTok. – AFP, December 8, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Two podcasters remanded for two days over alleged controversial episode

Malaysia / 2w

‘Do not reveal information about your child on social media’ - Minister

Malaysia / 1mth

Rosmah sues Harith Iskander over comedy routine, alleges defamation and body shaming

Opinion / 1mth

When bullying turns violent, Malaysia must confront what is happening inside schools

Malaysia / 2mth

Comedian calls out viral behaviour of Malaysians abroad, questions ‘erosion of shame’ in social media age (video)

Malaysia / 2mth

Rosmah Mansor denies viral allegations, lodges police report

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns