Malaysia

Negeri Sembilan state assembly postponed as royal tensions simmer

The Negri Sembilan state legislative assembly session scheduled for 27 April has been postponed pending royal consent

Updated 4 months ago · Published on 23 Apr 2026 12:48PM

Negeri Sembilan state assembly postponed as royal tensions simmer
The Speaker cites the need to ensure orderly proceedings amid an ongoing sensitive situation involving the state’s royal institution (Photo from Bernama) - April 23, 2026

THE three-day sitting of the Negri Sembilan state legislative assembly, due to begin on Monday, 27 April, has been postponed, with a new date to be fixed following consent from the state ruler, Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir.

State Assembly Speaker Datuk MK Ibrahim Abd Rahman confirmed the deferment, saying the revised schedule would be issued once the necessary royal approval is obtained.

“We will fix another date and send out notices later. So, next week’s sitting will not be held,” he said when met outside the state assembly complex following the official opening ceremony by Tuanku Muhriz.

Asked to explain the reason for the postponement, he said it was necessary to ensure the smooth conduct of the sitting.

“It is my hope that we are able to overcome the situation we are facing now before the assembly meets again,” he said.

Although he did not elaborate, his remarks were widely interpreted as referring to a sensitive development involving the state’s royal institution.

Earlier in the morning, about 30 individuals gathered peacefully outside Istana Hinggap and the Wisma Negeri complex in Seremban to express support and loyalty to Tuanku Muhriz and Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun.

The group, which called itself the Secretariat for Support and Loyalty to the Yang di-Pertuan Besar and the Menteri Besar, assembled from about 8.30am outside the main gates of Istana Hinggap, located roughly 50 metres from the state legislative assembly building.

A memorandum was handed over by the group’s representative, Prof Dr Mohd Aluwi Sari, to Tunku Kecil Muda Tunku Datuk Mahmood Fawzy Tunku Muhiyiddin.

Police were stationed in the vicinity to maintain order, although no incidents or disturbances were reported during the gathering or the submission of the memorandum.

Tuanku Muhriz was later seen departing Istana Hinggap and proceeding to the state assembly building at about 9.30am, accompanied by Tunku Ampuan Besar Negeri Sembilan Tuanku Aishah Rohani Tengku Besar Mahmud, for the official opening of the 15th state legislative assembly session.

In a separate development, Mohd Aluwi said a similar memorandum had also been submitted to the Menteri Besar through his representative, expressing support from traditional leadership and community representatives across Luak Sungei Ujong, Luak Jelebu, Luak Johol, Luak Rembau and other territories under Negeri Sembilan’s customary structure.

He also urged those outside the state not to make accusations or fuel speculation regarding the situation involving the ruler and the Menteri Besar.

“People outside Negeri Sembilan should not stir or spread accusations about the current situation. There are voices from Melaka, Selangor and Sarawak,” he said.

“I am not making accusations, but what I have seen on social media is that both His Royal Highness and the Menteri Besar are being blamed,” he added.

The developments have attracted public attention amid reports of tensions involving traditional leadership structures and discussions over the position of the Yang di-Pertuan Besar, although no official confirmation of any change has been announced. - April 23, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

Malaysia urges ASEAN to tighten action against haze

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

Poor air quality: Sharp rise in asthma cases

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

MEF: Employers want faster approvals and fewer delays

Malaysia

Anwar approves additional RM1 million for Hindu crematorium in Seberang Prai