Malaysia

Loke shrugs off Onn Hafiz's snub, lists Johor’s presence at transport events

Responding to Onn Hafiz’s declaration that he would rather give up his post than sit with DAP, Loke struck a measured tone, stressing that the party does not compel cooperation.

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 14 Jun 2026 4:04PM

Loke shrugs off Onn Hafiz's snub, lists Johor’s presence at transport events
“I understand election season can be busy. Perhaps some things were forgotten,” Loke said. - June 14, 2026

by Alfian Z.M. Tahir

DAP secretary-general Anthony Loke has brushed aside remarks by Johor Menteri Besar Onn Hafiz Ghazi, saying there is no bad blood despite their recent public exchange.

Responding to Onn Hafiz’s declaration that he would rather give up his post than sit with DAP, Loke struck a measured tone, stressing that the party does not compel cooperation.

“If he does not want to sit with me, that’s okay. DAP does not regard anyone as an enemy. We are pragmatic, not arrogant. We do not force anyone,” he said in a video posted on Facebook.

The exchange comes amid rising political tension in Johor, with Onn Hafiz reiterating his reluctance to work alongside DAP in the state administration.

But Loke also pushed back on claims that the Johor government had been sidelined from Transport Ministry programmes over the past three years, suggesting instead that some invitations — and attendances — may have been overlooked.

In a separate post, he thanked Onn Hafiz for accepting an invitation to ride the KTM Komuter Selatan service, while “refreshing” the menteri besar’s memory on past engagements.

According to Loke, Onn Hafiz had been present at several key events, including the January 2024 RTS Link ceremony witnessed by the Malaysian and Singaporean prime ministers, the June 2025 unveiling of the first RTS train in Singapore, and the August 2025 launch of the ETS3 service in Kluang officiated by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

He added that the Johor government had also participated — either directly or through representatives — in multiple ministry-linked programmes, such as the Kluang Heritage Railway Linear Park MoU signing in 2023, a working visit to the Sultan Abu Bakar CIQ complex in 2024, and the reopening of the Pasir Gudang–Kempas Baru rail line in May 2025.

At the same time, Loke pointed out that some invitations had gone unanswered, including the MyLesen B2 programme for students in Johor Baru earlier this year, which saw no state representatives in attendance.

“I understand election season can be busy. Perhaps some things were forgotten,” he said.

He also drew a line between official functions and routine working visits, noting that not every ministry activity warranted a formal invitation to the menteri besar.

Still, Loke said Onn Hafiz would receive an official invite to the KTM Komuter Selatan launch in Kulai, where he is expected to deliver a speech.

The transport minister also revealed that Johor’s state executive councillor for transport had joined a trial run of the service in March — before operational details were finalised — though the ministry had not been informed of the visit.

The back-and-forth follows Loke’s public invitation last week for Onn Hafiz to join him on a commemorative train ride marking the service’s launch.

Onn Hafiz has since confirmed he will attend, but maintained that the state government was informed late, despite the event being planned earlier.

He also reiterated claims that several ministry programmes between 2023 and 2025 had proceeded without invitations extended to him or the relevant state officials. – June 14, 2026

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Guan Eng accuses Penang CM of misleading people

Malaysia / 1w

To leave or to stay? Penang and Kedah DAP remain undecided

Events / 1w

Selangor turns focus to AI, semiconductors as Techsphere Summit returns

Malaysia / 2w

Anthony Loke on nationwide roadshow before DAP national congress

Malaysia / 2w

Selangor MB apologises for police escort's behaviour towards road user (video)

Malaysia / 2w

Negeri Sembilan mulls deputy Exco posts as Ismail settles new state cabinet

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Malaysia

Malaysia warns global firms over Israeli E1 settlement tender threatening Palestinian statehood

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

PMX responds to student's invitation to 'Uncle Anwar'

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan