PRIME MINISTER Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has approved an additional RM1 million allocation for the construction of a Hindu crematorium in Seberang Perai to meet the needs of the local Hindu community.
Penang Hindu Endowment Board commissioner Kumaran Krishnan welcomed the additional allocation, describing it as evidence of the Federal Government’s continued efforts to safeguard the welfare of Malaysia’s multiracial and multi-religious population.
“This reflects the MADANI Government’s commitment to ensuring that the needs of people of different races and religions are addressed fairly and inclusively,” he said.
Kumaran said this at a press conference at the site of the Penang Hindu Endowment Board crematorium project on Jalan Siram in Butterworth.
Also present were Penang Hindu Endowment Board chairman RSN Rayer and Bagan MP Lim Guan Eng.
The Government had previously allocated RM1.5 million for the construction of the crematorium.
However, the initial allocation was insufficient to cover the project’s overall costs, prompting the Penang Hindu Endowment Board to seek additional funding from the Federal Government.
The new facility is intended to provide a dedicated cremation facility for the Hindu community in Seberang Perai, where residents currently rely on the crematorium at the Batu Lanchang Hindu Cemetery.
The additional allocation is expected to help facilitate the completion of the project and address the long-standing needs of the local Hindu community. - August 23, 2026