Malaysia

NFC trial postponed as lawyer under virus quarantine

Govt seeking repayment of RM253.6 million loaned to set up feedlot centre in Negri Sembilan

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 05 Oct 2020 5:39PM

NFC trial postponed as lawyer under virus quarantine

KUALA LUMPUR – The trial of Putrajaya’s suit against National Feedlot Corporation (NFC), which had been fixed for today till Thursday at the high court here, has been postponed as senior federal counsel Azizan Md Arshad is undergoing Covid-19 quarantine at home.

According to the suit, NFC must repay RM253.6 million loaned to it for the setting up and operation of a national feedlot centre in Gemas, Negri Sembilan.

Laywer Datuk K. Kirubakaran, representing the defendant, said the plaintiff applied for the trial to be postponed as Azizan has to undergo a 14-day quarantine following his return from Sabah, where he attended a case.

“Judicial commissioner Anand Ponnudurai allowed the application, and set November 4 to 6, as well as February 22 to 26 next year, for the hearing to continue,” he told reporters after the proceedings in chambers today.

Present was federal counsel Mohd Ashraf Abd Hamid, acting on behalf of the government.

NFC is managed by the husband and three children of former women, family and community development minister Tan Sri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil.

In its suit, the government named NFC as the first defendant, while Shahrizat’s husband, Datuk Dr Mohamad Salleh Ismail, and their three children, namely Wan Shahinur Izran, Wan Shahinur Izmir and Wan Izzana Fatimah Zabedah, are the second to fifth defendants, respectively.

Other defendants are six companies controlled by Salleh’s family, comprising National Meat & Livestock Corporation Sdn Bhd, Real Food Corporation Sdn Bhd, Meatworks Corporation Sdn Bhd, Agroscience Industries Sdn Bhd, Asian Bioscience Corporation Sdn Bhd and Techknowlogy Imageware (M) Sdn Bhd.

Putrajaya entered into an agreement with NFC on December 6, 2007 for a RM250 million loan, a portion of which was used to fund the establishment and operations of the feedlot centre, in line with the government’s policy to develop and advance beef production.

The loan was disbursed by the government in three tranches.

Salleh’s family made 10 withdrawals, totalling RM180.51 million, from January 24, 2008 to January 3, 2011.

Of the RM180.51 million withdrawn, only RM8.32 million was paid directly to third parties to carry out the project. The balance was transferred to other NFC accounts, and RM118.04 million from this was allegedly misused.

The funds in question include RM9.76 million said to have been used to buy a unit at One Menerung Residence in Bangsar. This was allegedly done by sixth defendant National Meat & Livestock Corp.

At the same time, it is alleged that RM300,000 was used to make payments to one Shamsubarin Ismail for undisclosed purposes, and he got an additional RM1.8 million separately.

Salleh’s family also allegedly used the loan funds to pay a monthly RM28,000 rental for an office lot at Solaris Mont Kiara.

Other alleged expenditure made using the loan money includes the purchase of two plots of land in Putrajaya, payment to two legal firms and purchase of a four-storey shophouse at Solaris Mont Kiara. – Bernama, October 5, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

NFCorp wins appeal against Public Bank confidentiality breach

Malaysia / 4y

Maybank S’pore pulls suit against Shahrizat’s husband, children

Malaysia / 4y

NFC case: court moves hearing to Nov 7 after failure to reach settlement

Malaysia / 4y

Govt, NFC to settle RM253.6 mil suit, failing which trial resumes

Malaysia / 5y

Govt suit seeking RM253.6 mil from NFC to continue Jan 24

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Man arrested after viral video shows kitten being beaten with aluminium broom

Malaysia

Malaysia escalates haze concerns to Indonesia as Sarawak air quality worsens

Malaysia

Sarawak haze crisis deepens as Serian air pollution hits very unhealthy level

Malaysia

Haze crisis deepens as six Sarawak areas enter unhealthy air quality levels

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

Sarawak puts harmony with nature at heart of tourism pitch to global travel industry