Malaysia

Selangor: Statewide CMCO not necessary

MB said the matter has been raised with National Security Council for evaluation

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Oct 2020 10:54PM

Selangor: Statewide CMCO not necessary
Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari said the enforcement of the CMCO statewide was seen as not fair specifically to residents in Sabak Bernam, Tanjong Karang and Kuala Selangor since the Covid-19 cases in the areas were low. – Bernama filepic, October 13, 2020

SHAH ALAM – The state government is of the view that several districts in Selangor need not be included under the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) for 14 days from tomorrow as their Covid-19 cases were still under control.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari said the view on the matter had been sent to the National Security Council (NSC) for evaluation as the enforcement of the CMCO was under the federal government.

“I am aware several areas (spread of Covid-19 in Selangor) are still under control and the information (was obtained) based on meetings with the Selangor Health Department (JKNS), police and others.

“I know the Covid-19 cases are scattered but we have specific reasons as a result of recommendations by JKNS. It is not my view in seeking to differ (from the federal government) and I hope it is discussed in the NSC meeting,” he told a media conference on the launch of the ‘Hari-Hari National Community Basketball League’ here, today.

He said the enforcement of the CMCO statewide was seen as not fair specifically to residents in Sabak Bernam, Tanjong Karang and Kuala Selangor since the Covid-19 cases in the areas were low.

Amirudin said although health was always a priority the relatively low-income levels in Sabak Bernam and Kuala Selangor should be given attention if CMCO was enforced.

“If the federal government decides that the economic sector is allowed to operate but closes schools, nursery and kindergartens, surely many workers would be forced to take leave to look after their children.

Commenting on the targeted Covid-19 tests by the state government, Amiruddin said for the time being, it would be implemented in the Petaling Jaya area after some congregates at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Airport Mosque were detected positive.

At the same time, Amirudin said, to date, 733 individuals who returned from Sabah on Sept 20 to 26 had undergone the targeted screening tests and five of them who did not have the symptoms were found to be Covid-19 positive. – Bernama, October 13, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

SC ready to regulate Tabung Haji investments if required, says chairman

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Sarawak haze crisis deepens as Serian air pollution hits very unhealthy level

Malaysia

Sarawak haze shuts 591 schools across 10 districts

Malaysia

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia

Anwar unveils first online 9.9 Jualan Ihsan Rahmah sale for Malaysians

Malaysia

SK Air Hitam Labu student among three killed after being hit by immigration truck