Malaysia

Anwar respects Agong’s decree for political ceasefire

PKR president says party will help combat Covid-19 crisis, economic problems

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Oct 2020 11:24PM

Anwar respects Agong’s decree for political ceasefire
Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim says he will respect the Yang di-Pertuan Agong’s latest call for a political ceasefire. – The Vibes file pic, October 25, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim says he respects the Yang di-Pertuan Agong’s call for a political ceasefire amid the Covid-19 surge. 

In a statement tonight, the PKR president said the party will ensure all efforts in handling the health crisis, issues of unemployment and poverty, and the economic development will be implemented in a more effective manner. 

“I take note the Agong’s advice that political leaders, including MPs, should not be politicking excessively, and this ought to be appreciated and observed. 

“Political leaders should be concerned and should shoulder their responsibilities in line with the spirit of constitution and accountability to the rakyat, the parliamentary institution and the country.

“This is to ensure demands related to justice, rejection of corruption and the limiting of power abuse can be balanced,” he said. 

Anwar’s statement came in light of the royal decree earlier today for politicians to cease all politicking that could harm the country’s stability. 

The Agong had said there is no need for MPs to continue with irresponsible actions that could affect the country, and urged all quarters to focus their efforts in battling Covid-19.

His Majesty also decreed that there would be no need for a declaration of emergency as he trusts in the current government’s ability in handling the pandemic.

The decision follows a meeting between the Agong and the Malay rulers amid a political imbroglio that has seen Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s position come under heavy scrutiny.

Muhyiddin had met with the Agong on Friday evening after a special Cabinet meeting earlier that day decided to call for an emergency, as a measure to address the Covid-19 situation.

Critics, however, argued that the move was merely a desperate attempt for Muhyiddin to stay in power, after Anwar’s claim of majority support in the Dewan Rakyat raised concern that the upcoming Budget 2021 could be rejected.

Commenting on His Majesty’s decision to not accede to Muhyiddin’s proposal for an emergency, Anwar said he welcomes the Agong’s stand.

“The historic decision made by the Agong in rejecting the motion by the prime minister and the cabinet to declare emergency has further strengthened the country's constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy system.

“It is clearly a decision that is made based on the spirit of the constitution and in understanding the voices of the people,” Anwar said. – The Vibes, October 25, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3w

No discussions yet regarding general election – Zahid

Malaysia / 1mth

Elections are not a channel to free any individual - Azalina

Malaysia / 1mth

NFCC: Azam Baki’s advisory board appointment done with consent of Yang di-Pertuan Agong

Opinion / 1mth

Why Bersama is not Malaysia’s best hope

Opinion / 5mth

A civilizational moment for Malaysia: From Al-Attas to Osman Bakar

Opinion / 6mth

Government Procurement Bill 2025: Evidence of government’s firm stance against corruption

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Man, woman claim trial to animal cruelty against dog named Rocky (Updated)

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

Five arrested as Johor police open three probes into reversed state and Malaysian flags

Malaysia

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Sarawak puts harmony with nature at heart of tourism pitch to global travel industry

Malaysia

PMX responds to student's invitation to 'Uncle Anwar'

Malaysia

Man arrested after viral video shows kitten being beaten with aluminium broom