Malaysia

Govt may build housing for foreign workers: minister

This follows spike in Covid-19 cases at construction sites

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Nov 2020 6:52PM

Govt may build housing for foreign workers: minister
Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa says the rise in cases at construction sites proves that communal living is a serious health threat that provide perfect conditions for the spread of Covid-19. – Bernama pic, November 21, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – The government will study the possibility of providing living quarters for foreign workers to curb Covid-19 transmissions at construction sites, said Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa.

He said the ministry is in talks with other ministries and the Malaysian Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) on the proposal.

"Sometimes, we find foreign workers living at newly completed buildings; we do not want to see this sort of thing happening again.

"Previously, Covid-19 cases were detected at the Pavilion Embassy construction site during the second wave and it is happening again with the Damanlela construction site cluster," he told a press conference after presenting donations to Kuala Lumpur residents' associations under the Cakna 3.0 initiative.

Present was his deputy, Datuk Seri Dr Santhara Kumar.

Annuar said the rise in cases proves that foreign workers’ quarters do not meet the correct standards and communal living is a serious health threat that provide perfect conditions for the spread of the virus.

"As such, we will see what approach can be taken, including the feasibility of providing centralised quarters for foreign workers.

"Those (contractors) who engage the services of foreign workers need to ensure that they are free of the disease and proper housing is provided for the workers."

As of November 18, of a total of 3,128 construction workers screened in the Damanlela cluster, 1,346 tested positive for Covid-19.

However, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob had said there was no need for an enhanced movement control order (EMCO) in the areas as the Health Ministry had screened all foreign workers involved and two related construction sites had been closed. – Bernama, November 21, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

PAS to discuss position in PN with Gerakan, MIPP this week

Malaysia / 2mth

Future cooperation between PAS and Bersatu determined next Monday - Annuar Musa

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Malaysia / 8mth

Dong Zong had the chance to resolve UEC issue in 2013, says Ti Lian Ker

Malaysia / 8mth

Sabah polls: Young voters could determine outcome of Sabah General Election, says Annuar Musa

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar