Malaysia

GOF 3rd Battalion leave Padang Besar with a heavy heart

Its official tour of duty ends today with 2nd Battalion taking over

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Dec 2020 5:10PM

GOF 3rd Battalion leave Padang Besar with a heavy heart
GOF 3rd Battalion commanding officer Supt Rosman Kasman says the team feels disappointed that smugglers involved in a recent shooting incident remain at large. – PDRM pic/The Vibes file pic, December 1, 2020

PADANG BESAR – The mission of the General Operations Force's (GOF) 3rd Battalion remains unfinished, even though their task of guarding the Malaysia-Thailand border officially ends today.

Its commanding officer, Supt Rosman Kasman, said the team is reluctant to return following an incident in which two of their members were attacked by smugglers last week, leaving one dead and another seriously injured, while suspects remain at large.

"The mission is complete but we leave with a heavy heart as the rest of the smugglers involved in the shooting incident of our friends are at large.

"Although all 310 members of the GOF's 3rd Battalion managed to complete their duties well, we are saddened by the loss of Sergeant Baharuddin Ramli, who is an experienced member," he said here yesterday.

Today marks the last day of the month-long assignment of the 3rd Battalion based in Bidor, Perak, which will be replaced by the GOF's 2nd Battalion based in Kulim, Kedah.

On November 24, Baharuddin, 54, was killed while  Sergeant Norihan a/l Tari, 39, was seriously injured in a shootout with a group of smugglers about 600m from the TS9 control post in Padang Besar.

The next day, another member on duty at Post M16 in Bukit Kayu Hitam was injured after being shot with an air rifle, believed to be by a smuggler.

Rosman said his team fulfilled their duties with honesty and integrity, even though there is always the element of danger in working at the border.

"But members of the Senoi Praaq have carried out their duties faithfully and according to every instruction given and, throughout my assignment, I did not receive any reports involving corruption because they have high discipline and integrity," he said.

He said the honesty of each member of the Senoi Praaq is a "legacy" inherited from older generations.

"The recent shooting proves that members of Battalion 3 have high integrity and are not intimidated by the country's enemies," he said.

He said since Op Bersepadu was launched, major ketum leaf smugglers have curbed their activities, with only a few attempts by individual smugglers.

Meanwhile, he said his battalion planned to build a memorial at the location to commemorate Baharuddin's service in a bid to inspire other members in safeguarding the country's borders.

"We will also build a football pavilion at the GOF Bidor Camp in Perak to fulfil the dream of the late Senoi Praaq member who loved football, and the pavilion will be known as BahaBola in his honour," he said. – Bernama, December 1, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Penang Sukma rugby player dies after collapsing during training

Malaysia / 1y

Sarawak GOF seizes e-waste worth RM14.7mln in Kuching

Malaysia / 1y

RM45 million worth of illegal alcohol, cigarettes seized in Sarawak

Malaysia / 4y

Ghost town: Wang Kelian residents concerned over lack of development

Malaysia / 4y

Customs Dept to step up M’sia-Thai border checks for cannabis smuggling

Malaysia / 4y

Hamzah to meet Thai home minister on border security, counterterrorism

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

Pahang Sultan stops convoy to aid seriously injured crash victims in Sarawak

Malaysia

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court

Malaysia

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir