Malaysia

Bring it on, MIC president says to Kedah MB’s ban threat

Tan Sri S.A. Vigneswaran calls Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor ‘immature’ and a ‘liar’ following Hindu temple demolition

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Dec 2020 11:22AM

Bring it on, MIC president says to Kedah MB’s ban threat
MIC president Tan Sri S.A. Vigneswaran says his party is not dependent on PAS in the Perikatan government. – Facebook pic, December 3, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – MIC president Tan Sri S.A. Vigneswaran has lashed out at “immature” Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor and challenged the Kedah menteri besar to have the party banned, following the demolition of a Hindu temple by Alor Star authorities.

“The Kedah MB should answer our questions or provide a replacement site for the temple,” said Vigneswaran in a statement.

“Go and ask what happened to the promise of the PAS president (Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang), who gave an assurance that he would not demolish temples if PAS (came to power).”

He said Sanusi should not be arrogant, and that MIC is not dependent on the Islamist party in the Perikatan Nasional government.

“Do not forget your situation six months ago. This is PAS’ true colours, which is to appear friendly before becoming the government.

“PAS used to be (closer) to Umno. Now, it has its tune (closer) to Bersatu. It seems one can’t blame DAP when PAS left Pakatan Rakyat, because now, we can see PAS’ actions.”

He said he will accept it if Sanusi gets MIC banned, but asked whether the latter is willing to quit as menteri besar should the bid fail.

Sanusi is a “liar” for claiming that the federal and state governments do not provide allocations for temples, he added.

The PAS leader told a press conference yesterday that MIC should be banned if it is found to have “provoked the people to break the law”.

“When a temple is built in an unauthorised place, it violates the law.

“Was MIC established as a political party to incite the people to break the law?

“If they were set up to incite the public, then MIC should be banned in this country.”

His comments followed the Alor Star City Council’s demolition of a 30-year-old Hindu temple in Taman Bersatu, Kuala Kedah, as well as a hall and five parking areas.

This came after the state government’s decision to build a futsal facility.

The demolition triggered an outcry from Kedah MIC, which said religious freedom is being eroded in the state.

Another temple, located near the Alor Star train station, was razed earlier this year.

Asked about the matter in the state assembly, Sanusi said Kedah’s budget for next year has no provisions for non-Muslim houses of worship. – The Vibes, December 3, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia / 1w

Understanding PAS: Visions and policies for a future Malaysian government?

Malaysia / 1w

To leave or to stay? Penang and Kedah DAP remain undecided

Malaysia / 1w

Kedah may delay Penang lease claim documents till change of federal government

Malaysia / 2w

‘We will learn from past mistakes and return stronger’ – Steven Sim

Malaysia / 3w

PRNNS: Of voter turnout and last-minute decisions by fence-sitters

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Malaysia urges ASEAN to tighten action against haze

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

Plans underway to set up financial hub on Pulau Jerejak

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Pahang Sultan stops convoy to aid seriously injured crash victims in Sarawak

Malaysia

Malaysians urged to rethink travel to southern Thailand after 51 violent incidents

Malaysia

Zahid calls for forensic audit into RM9b Felda losses