Malaysia

Police receive three reports over businessman’s claims against MACC

Case more like dispute between two people who had business dealings, says IGP

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Dec 2020 6:07AM

Police receive three reports over businessman’s claims against MACC
Police have received three reports in connection with claims of a businessman receiving threats from a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission officer over a Macau Scam investigation. – The Vibes file pic, December 11, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – Police have received three reports in connection with claims of a businessman receiving threats from a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officer over a Macau Scam investigation.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador said police are still investigating the case, adding that there were several things that need to be determined before taking the next course of action.

The first report was filed by the businessman, while the second and third reports were respectively lodged by MACC and another individual, alleged to have had dealings with the businessman, refuting the allegations.

“Initially, we saw that there were offenses under Section 384 and Section 500 of the Penal Code. (However) I have instructed Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department deputy director to study the issue more closely.

“We do not want to waste time as the report, claiming misconduct had occurred, looks more like a dispute between two people who previously had business dealings,” he said.

In a separate development, Hamid said an individual suspected of having the intent to kill him had been apprehended.

Without revealing further details, he said the individual, who made the threats via a video that had gone viral, had already been released.

He said investigations found that the man was simply venting anger, adding that he advised the public not to resort to such actions online as they could be charged in court for the offence.

On December 1, police were reported to be looking for a man who threatened to shoot Hamid dead, and who claimed to be the commander-in-chief of the Tamil Eelam Liberation Tiger terrorist group.

The suspect had also claimed that he would attack Bukit Aman and the Defence Ministry. – Bernama, December 11, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia / 2d

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia / 4d

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

Malaysia / 4d

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia / 4d

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

Malaysia / 1w

RCI TH: MACC detains 7, including those with 'Datuk' and 'Datuk Seri' titles

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar vows stronger Federal ties with Sabah, Sarawak ahead of MA63 talks

Malaysia

Police probe viral street race after motorcycle riders block Johor expressway

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

Zahid calls for forensic audit into RM9b Felda losses

Malaysia

Malaysians urged to rethink travel to southern Thailand after 51 violent incidents

Malaysia

Kelantan Police Chief says some parents still defend drug-addict children