Malaysia

Ex-Perak exco’s rape case to be tried at high court

Defence sought this as it says case involves constitutional arguments

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 15 Dec 2020 1:08PM

Ex-Perak exco’s rape case to be tried at high court
Tronoh assemblyman Paul Yong Choo Kiong is accused of raping his 23-year-old Indonesian maid at his home on July 7, last year. – Wikipedia pic, December 15, 2020

PUTRAJAYA – The case of former Perak state exco Paul Yong Choo Kiong, who is facing a charge of raping his Indonesian maid, will be heard at the Ipoh High Court.

A three-member panel of the Federal Court chaired by Chief Justice Tun Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat today allowed Yong’s appeal for his case to be transferred from the Sessions Court to the high court.

The trial in the Sessions Court has yet to commence pending the disposal of the transfer appeal.

Tengku Maimun, who sat with Federal Court judges Datuk Seri Mohd Zawawi Salleh and Datuk Mary Lim Thiam Suan, made the ruling after the panel read the written submission filed by Yong's counsel, while there was no objection by the prosecution against Yong’s appeal.

“This is our unanimous decision as we find no error in this appeal. The appeal is allowed, the order of the Court of Appeal is set aside. The case is be transferred to the high court,” said Tengku Maimun, who then fixed December 21 for case mention.

Earlier, deputy public prosecutor K. Mangai had informed the panel that she was instructed to take the position not to object against Yong’s appeal.

Counsel Datuk Rajpal Singh, representing Yong, said the trial will begin in the high court as both parties had come to “an agreement in the adversarial system” as raised in the dissenting judgment in a 2-1 majority decision by a three-member panel of the Court of Appeal.

Outside the court, Rajpal, who appeared with counsel Salim Bashir, said the defence sought for the case to be tried at the high court as it involved constitutional arguments, particularly pertaining to the Witness Protection Act 2009.

He said the defence would challenge the Witness Protection Act following the prosecution's application for two key witnesses to testify in-camera.

“This way, the defence team and the accused will have no access to the evidence as we cannot see the witnesses in person. We will raise this during case mention at the high court," he said.

On November 26, last year, the Ipoh High Court  dismissed Yong's transfer application under Section 417 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Yong, 50, who is former Perak exco for housing and local government, public transport, non-Muslim affairs and new villages, pleaded not guilty at the Sessions Court in Ipoh to a charge of raping his 23-year-old Indonesian maid.

Yong, who is also Tronoh assemblyman, is accused of committing the offence at his house in Meru Desa Park on July 7, last year between 8.15pm and 9.15pm. – Bernama, December 15, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Penang: Good progress seen in two major projects in the state

Malaysia / 2w

10 assemblymen take oath as Negeri Sembilan Exco members

Malaysia / 2w

Deputy Exco plan puts Negeri Sembilan government under pressure to justify need, cost

Malaysia / 2w

Negeri Sembilan mulls deputy Exco posts as Ismail settles new state cabinet

Malaysia / 3w

NS Exco to be decided after discussions with UMNO president - MB

Off beat / 1mth

Penang targets 100% digital payment adoption rate

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

API below 200: All schools in Sarawak will reopen tomorrow

Malaysia

APM officer dies after being bitten by king cobra during reptile demonstration

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

Kelantan Police Chief says some parents still defend drug-addict children

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise