World

Abducted schoolboys in Nigeria released

However, some allegedly remain in hands of captors

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 18 Dec 2020 7:10AM

Abducted schoolboys in Nigeria released
Abducted students of the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara have been rescued, with the Katsina state government confirming the news. – AFP pic, December 18, 2020

KANKARA – Schoolboys who were abducted in northwest Nigeria were released yesterday, a presidential aide said, although it remained unclear how many.

“The abducted students of the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara have been rescued, the Katsina state government has confirmed the news,” Bashir Ahmaad, personal assistant to Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari, said on Twitter.

But a security source said some of the children remained in the hands of their captors.

“The bandits just abandoned them in the bush after taking the ransom they asked for,” said the source, who asked not to be named.

The source added that the group of children still in custody were being held by a well-known criminal, Awwalun Daudawa. 

The number of students kidnapped last week here remains unclear – 320 or 333, according to two accounts by officials, while locals put it at more than 500.

The attack was initially blamed on criminals, known locally as bandits, but was later claimed by Boko Haram.

The jihadist group released a video yesterday claiming to show schoolboys seized in the mass kidnapping.

Sources said the operation was carried out by Daudawa in collaboration with Idi Minorti and Dankarami, two other crime chiefs with strong local followings, acting on behalf of Boko Haram. – AFP, December 18. 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Police urge restraint as Rembau chieftain’s residence dispute heads to legal process

Malaysia / 1mth

DAP’s Nga Kor Ming continues to draw flak over ‘first minister to resign’ statement

Malaysia / 3mth

Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding USDT10 million ransom

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar condemns piracy-like interception of GSF vessels, urges safe return of Malaysians

Malaysia / 3mth

Rescued South Korean kidnapping victim turns out to be Interpol-wanted fugitive

Malaysia / 7mth

'There was no instruction for Bersatu assemblymen in Perlis to sign any SD' - Muhyiddin

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus