World

Australian virus cluster triggers travel clampdown

Sydney’s northern beaches declared Covid-19 hotspot as cases rise

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 18 Dec 2020 8:10PM

Australian virus cluster triggers travel clampdown
Long queues formed outside Covid-19 clinics in Sydney as Australian health officials raced to contain growing Covid-19 cases. – AFP pic, December 18, 2020

SYDNEY – Australian officials declared Sydney’s northern beaches a coronavirus hotspot Friday as a cluster of cases grew to 28 and triggered a return of domestic travel restrictions.

The outbreak follows a period of relative normality in the city after it proved a success in keeping a lid on the virus in recent months.

But today hundreds of thousands of residents were urged to stay home as much as possible for three days and long queues formed outside Covid-19 clinics as health officials raced to contain the infection.

“If we get on top of this in the next two or three days, all of us will be able to have a much better Christmas,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian, leader of Sydney's state of New South Wales, told media.

“But if we don't get on top of it in the next few days, it could mean further restrictions down the track.”

Despite most cases being linked to a venue in the suburb of Avalon on the city's northeast peninsula, Berejiklian said all of greater Sydney's over five million residents should be on “high alert”.

Mask wearing – although encouraged – remains optional in Sydney as daily community cases in Australia have remained low or at zero for months. 

Success in containing the virus has allowed a continued rollback of restrictions ahead of Christmas, with domestic travel having returned largely to normal before the latest outbreak.

The loosening of curbs has sparked fears that the new outbreak could have already spread around the country.

One case linked to the cluster has been detected in neighbouring Queensland, prompting state and territory officials to announce restrictions on travellers from Sydney – forcing many into isolation.

Some of the toughest restrictions have come from Western Australia, with the state's leader Mark McGowan announcing a 14-day self-quarantine for all arrivals from New South Wales.

“There is no doubt New South Wales is on the verge of a serious outbreak, and we must do whatever is required to keep us safe,” McGowan said.

Health officials said genomic testing had found the strain of the virus was likely from the United States but how it spread to Sydney was unclear.

Overseas arrivals in Australia are strictly controlled and required to quarantine.

A bus driver who transported air crew from the city’'s airport also tested positive for an overseas strain of the virus earlier this week, but he is not linked to the northern beaches cluster, officials said.

Australia has recorded over 28,000 coronavirus cases and 908 deaths in a population of 25 million. – AFP, December 18, 2020

Related News

World / 2mth

Trump's health: Weighs 108kg, heart age 14 years younger, hands bruised from frequent handshakes – Doctor

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

Government’s RM5.7 billion spending cut a bold move to curb waste, says PKR leader

Malaysia / 3mth

Funding cutbacks may jeopardise public health, education, safety and crime prevention needs – Guan Eng

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia, Australia back Pope Leo's call for peace, urge dialogue to end global conflicts

Community / 5mth

Only 6 months after cleaning, senior citizens' 'treasures' pile up again

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus