World

Motorhome bomb rips through downtown Nashville on Xmas

Blast leaves as many as 20 buildings badly damaged; no reports of lives lost

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Dec 2020 8:15AM

Motorhome bomb rips through downtown Nashville on Xmas
Damage seen on a street after a bomb in a motorhome went off in Nashville, Tennessee, yesterday. – AFP pic, December 26, 2020

WASHINGTON – A huge blast tore through a section of downtown Nashville yesterday, after police responding to reports of gunfire discovered a parked motorhome reportedly blaring a warning that it was carrying a bomb.

The explosion shattered windows and ripped apart trees, but appeared calculated to spare lives, injuring just three people as it detonated at 6.30am (1230 GMT) in a section of the southern United States city that was largely deserted due the early hour and the Christmas holiday.

The blast left as many as 20 buildings, including storefronts, badly damaged and the road surface charred – scattering glass, tree branches and bricks in an area filled with businesses, restaurants and bars.

In a dramatic sequence of events that shattered the Christmas-morning calm, police responded to calls that gunshots had been fired, and noticed the vehicle as they arrived on the scene.

A recorded message playing from the motorhome warned that a bomb would detonate within 15 minutes – enough time for a bomb squad to clear the area before the explosion, police chief John Drake and spokesman Don Aaron told reporters.

Witnesses told the Tennessean newspaper that the warning, spoken in a woman’s voice, counted down to the blast.

“Evacuate now. There is a bomb. A bomb is in this vehicle and will explode,” one recalled the chilling recording as saying.

Pictures shared on social media from the immediate aftermath showed thick plumes of black smoke rising from the burning motorhome, and storefronts torn apart.

The blast happened near an AT&T facility, and the telecommunications company told journalists: “Service for some customers in Nashville and the surrounding areas may be affected by damage to our facilities from the explosion this morning.”

Nashville International Airport announced that it has temporarily halted flights due to “telecommunications issues” associated with the blast.

The Tennessean reported that police are conducting door-to-door checks.

The blast knocked an officer to the ground, it said, and gave another hearing loss.

Both President Donald Trump and president-elect Joe Biden have been briefed on the incident, which is being investigated by the FBI and US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Agents offered no possible motive immediately, and made no link to any domestic terrorism plot. It is also not immediately clear if anyone was in the motorhome when it exploded.

“This appears to have been an intentional act. Law enforcement is closing downtown streets as investigation continues,” tweeted Nashville’s metro police.

Firefighters said at least three people were taken to hospital with minor injuries, according to local media.

The blast was large enough to be felt several kilometres away.

The damage is “limited, but it is dramatic”, said Nashville Mayor John Cooper, adding that the city is “lucky” that the blast occurred on Christmas, when few people were downtown.

“It’s unfortunate, but any other morning, I think, it would have been a much worse story.”

Police said several people have been moved to a local station for questioning, although no arrests or details of suspects were announced.

Tennessee Senator Marsha Blackburn led messages of concern from multiple public figures, saying she is “praying for all those involved”, and thanked the “brave first responders for keeping us safe”.

Biden issued a statement saying he and his wife, Jill, “thank all the first responders working today in response to the incident, and wish those who were injured a speedy recovery”.

Trump’s spokesman, Judd Deere, tweeted that the president is “grateful for the incredible first responders and praying for those who were injured”. – AFP, December 26, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 7mth

Explosion at private university: Student still in coma

Malaysia / 7mth

Explosion at private university: Victim was UTAR student undergoing industrial training

Malaysia / 10mth

22 people injured in firecracker explosion in Kulim

Malaysia / 1y

Putra Heights gas pipe explosion: Repair, reconstruction work between 22 – 24 per cent, says MB

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 1y

Pulau Sibuan set to reopen on Jan 15 after bomb scare 

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline