World

Singapore: Married man kept second wife and kids a secret for 30 years, gets jail for bigamy

The 67-year-old pleaded guilty to the offence of bigamy and was sentenced to one year and five months' jail

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 03 Dec 2025 5:44PM

Singapore: Married man kept second wife and kids a secret for 30 years, gets jail for bigamy
Ng Teong Min's deception lasted 30 years from 1995 until August this year - Picture from CNA, December 3, 2025

A SINGAPOREAN man who had been married for 15 years secretly wed again in Sarawak and fathered two more children, all the while keeping this second family from his wife and two kids in Singapore.

Ng Teong Min's deception lasted 30 years from 1995 until August this year, when a whistleblower exposed his double life in an email to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority.

The 67-year-old pleaded guilty to the offence of bigamy and was sentenced to one year and five months' jail on Tuesday (Dec 2).

Ng, now a grandfather, shed tears while telling the judge he took "full responsibility for the pain, confusion and harm" he had caused.

"I have reflected deeply on the choice I made. I understand that I have broken the trust of my family and the law. This has been a painful lesson that I will carry for the rest of my life," he said.

"I promise to uphold the law and to be a better father, grandparent and family member. I want to spend the rest of my years setting a proper example for my children and grandchildren – one built on modesty, integrity and responsibility."

The court heard that Ng and his first wife, now 66, met as adolescents and got married in Singapore in 1980. They have two children together.

Between 1985 and 1995, Ng frequented Sarawak for business. There, he met and started a relationship with another woman.

Ng found housing for the second woman and would live with her whenever he visited Sarawak. She knew that he was married.

In 1995, when Ng was 37, he and the woman wed according to Chinese customs at her parents' home in Sarawak.

"The union was formalised through a tea ceremony, at the close of which parties were deemed husband and wife in accordance with the traditional customs," said Deputy Public Prosecutor Jini Pillai.

The couple decided not to register their marriage as they knew that Malaysian authorities might make a check with Singaporean authorities and find out Ng was already married.

Ng and his second wife went on to have two children together. The woman made statutory declarations about their marriage so that their children could be issued Malaysian birth certificates.

Ng's first wife was unaware of his second family until she learnt about it in the course of investigations this year.

During their marriage, Ng and his first wife lived together whenever he was in Singapore, and she took care of their two children.

Pillai said that Ng's first wife now intends to dissolve their marriage and has started the proceedings to do this.

The prosecutor sought one-and-a-half to two years' jail for Ng, pointing out his prolonged and premeditated deception.

She said that he had entered into a "customary marriage" while his "solemnised marriage" was still subsisting.

"His first wife was kept in the dark for three decades and continued to participate in the marriage, bearing and raising two children with the accused," Pillai said in written submissions.

Ng's actions put his offence of bigamy "far in excess" of previous cases, and he was able to "capitalise on the jurisdictional barrier to keep his first spouse insulated from his ceaseless betrayal", she said.

She added in court that Ng was able to experience both marriages to their "full extent", having fathered children with both women.

In sentencing, District Judge Eddy Tham said the "only saving grace" of Ng's actions was that he did not similarly deceive his second wife.

Ng could have been jailed for up to seven years and fined for bigamy.

Under the Women's Charter, it is an offence to purport to contract a marriage "under any law, religion, custom or usage" while lawfully married. - December 3, 2025

This story was first published by CNA

Related News

World / 1d

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

Malaysia / 2d

S'pore driver involved in altercation with Malaysian policeman near Woodlands Checkpoint

Malaysia / 1w

Nanta Linggi to leave Parliament after five terms, may contest new Sarawak state seat

Malaysia / 1w

Husband and wife face death penalty for drug trafficking

Malaysia / 1w

Sabah and Sarawak can become 'kingmakers', determine who will lead Federal government

Malaysia / 1w

Haze getting worse, five areas in Sarawak record unhealthy API readings – DOE

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation