World

UN peacekeeping mission in Sudan’s Darfur ends

Govt will take over responsibility for the protection of civilians in the area, says United Nations

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Jan 2021 2:30PM

UN peacekeeping mission in Sudan’s Darfur ends
Darfuris, many of whom remain in camps years after they fled their homes, have held protests in recent weeks against the UN mission's imminent departure. – UNAMID pic, January 1, 2021

NYALA (Sudan) – The United Nations and African Union yesterday ended a 13-year mission to keep the peace in the vast Sudanese region of Darfur, even as recent violent clashes leave residents fearful of renewed fighting.

Fighting erupted in Darfur in 2003, when ethnic minority rebels rose up against the Arab-dominated government in Khartoum, which responded by recruiting and arming notorious Arab-dominated militia known as the Janjaweed.

A total of 300,000 people were killed and 2.5 million displaced, according to the United Nations.

"The peacekeeping mission ended on Thursday December 31 at midnight in Darfur," UNAMID's spokesman Ashraf Eissa said.

"As of 1 January 2021, UNAMID's troops and police personnel will focus on providing security for the mission's drawdown activities, personnel, and assets."

He said the phased withdrawal of the mission's approximately 8,000 armed and civilian personnel will be completed inside six months.

The Sudanese government "will take over responsibility for the protection of civilians in the area", UNAMID said. 

Darfur's bitter conflict has largely subsided in recent years and longtime autocrat Omar al-Bashir – wanted by the International Criminal Court for genocide and other alleged crimes in the western region – was deposed last year.

But the country's transitional government is fragile, and ethnic and tribal clashes still periodically flare, including clashes last week that left at least 15 people dead and dozens wounded.

Darfuris, many of whom remain in camps years after they fled their homes, have held protests in recent weeks against the mission's imminent departure.

"The lives of Darfuri people are at stake, and the United Nations should reconsider its decision," Mohamed Abdelrahman told AFP on Wednesday at Kalma camp here, the capital of South Darfur. 

He is among hundreds who staged a sit-in outside the mission's headquarters at the camp. 

'Big trouble' ahead 

Protesters held up banners reading: "We trust UN protection for IDPs (internally displaced people)," and "we reject UNAMID's exit".

Longtime Kalma resident Othman Abulkassem fears the troops' departure signals "big trouble" for Darfuris, leaving them at risk of further violence.

UNAMID spokesman Ashraf Eissa sought to allay those fears. 

"We understand the concerns of the Darfuri population especially IDPs and other vulnerable groups, but the situation has improved a great deal over the past few years," Eissa told AFP. 

"The responsibility now lies with the transitional government and the Sudanese people themselves to enhance peace and security in Darfur."

A UN political mission – the United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS) – will be installed in Darfur after UNAMID's departure. 

It will be tasked with assisting Sudan's transition, peace-building, and aid disbursement.

Following last week's clashes, Sudanese authorities said government troops will be deployed to the region to contain any violence.

Yesterday, acting foreign minister Omar Qamareddine said UNAMID "contributed to achieving peace". 

"It's true that its tenure was marred by some obstacles but it was, overall, good," the minister told a Khartoum press conference, adding that the deployment of government troops across the region will be completed by March. 

But many are sceptical. 

"If the protection of internally displaced people is assigned to the government forces, it will be like handing Darfuris to the forces that committed massacres and rape against them," said 25-year-old Darfuri Intisar Abdelhay. 

Thousands of Janjaweed militiamen were incorporated into Sudan's powerful paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, whose head, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, is a key figure in the transitional government.

The Janjaweed stand accused by human rights groups of carrying out widespread killings and rapes as part of a broader campaign of "ethnic cleasing" in the early years of the conflict.

'No peace yet' 

Bashir was deposed by the army in April last year following unprecedented mass protests against his iron-fisted rule. 

In August 2019, the military rulers who ousted him agreed a precarious power sharing transition with civilians.

The transition government has pushed to build peace with rebel groups in all three of Sudan's main conflict zones, including Darfur.

But two rebel groups refused to join the deal, including the Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM) faction led by Abdelwahid Nour, which is believed to maintain considerable support in Darfur.

Clashes still flare in the region over land and access to water, mainly pitting nomadic Arab pastoralists against settled farmers from non-Arab ethnic groups.

"There is not yet full and comprehensive peace in Sudan," said Kalma resident Mohamed Hassan. 

"And until there is, we are against the end of the UNAMID mission." – AFP, January 1, 2021

Related News

World / 2mth

Sudan’s war may be far from over — and a new report suggests why

World / 2mth

HRW: Private military contractors deployed to Sudan to support RSF

World / 2y

Sudan’s de facto president rejects peace negotiations

World / 3y

Sudan’s warring parties agree to three-day ceasefire

World / 3y

Fighting worsens in Sudan despite US sanctions

World / 3y

Sudan displacement doubles to 700,000 in a week: UN

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month