World

Dump Trump, activists urge YouTube

#StopHateForProfit campaign says channel gives US president opportunity to continue spreading false info on election he lost

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Jan 2021 12:50PM

Dump Trump, activists urge YouTube
US President Donald Trump has had his Twitter account deleted, leaving him without his favourite megaphone. – AFP pic, January 13, 2021

SAN FRANCISCO – An activist group yesterday called on YouTube to join other social media platforms in dumping US President Donald Trump, threatening an advertising boycott campaign.

A #StopHateForProfit campaign demanded that the Google-owned video-sharing platform take down Trump’s verified channel because it is giving him the opportunity “to continue spreading false information” about the validity of the election he lost last November.

“If YouTube does not agree with us and join the other platforms in banning Trump, we’re going to go to the advertisers next,” said Common Sense Media chief executive Jim Steyer, an organiser of the campaign.

The home page of the Trump channel features a month-old video of the president casting doubt on the voting process that has logged some 5.8 million views.

The free channel itself has 2.77 million subscribers.

Facebook last week suspended Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts following the violent invasion of the US Capitol by a mob of his supporters, which disrupted the certification of president-elect Joe Biden’s election victory.

Twitter went a step further by deleting Trump’s account, depriving him of his favourite megaphone. 

Trump was also hit with suspensions from services like Snapchat and Twitch. 

Announcing the suspension last week, Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg said Trump used the platform to incite violent, and expressed concern that the leader would continue to do so. 

Before the November 3 election, the social network stepped up efforts to combat disinformation campaigns, and suspended many accounts, groups and pages with violent or hate-filled content. 

Facebook on Monday said it is taking similar precautions leading up to the inauguration of Biden as president on January 20, using the same teams to battle misinformation and content that could incite violence.

Content containing the phrase “stop the steal” will be removed from Facebook and Instagram, according to executives Monika Bickert and Guy Rosen.

Facebook is also keeping in place a pause on all ads in the US about politics or elections, meaning no ads from politicians including Trump. – AFP, January 13, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 9mth

The power of being in the room

World / 2y

FBI identifies Trump shooter asThomas Matthew Crooks, 20

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar condemns assassination attempt on Trump

World / 2y

Trump hurt in assassination attempt

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

‘Pay at police station RM300, pay here RM100’ viral video probed by cops

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran