World

China rescuers drill new ‘lifelines’ to trapped gold miners

22 workers stuck underground for 9 days and counting, as food supply dwindles

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Jan 2021 6:30PM

China rescuers drill new ‘lifelines’ to trapped gold miners
Rescuers clearing the main return shaft of a mine, which was damaged in an explosion, near Yantai in Shandong province, China. – AFP pic, January 19, 2021

BEIJING – Chinese rescuers drilled several fresh holes today to reach at least 12 gold miners trapped underground for nine days, as dwindling food supplies and rising waters threaten their survival.

Twenty-two workers are stuck 540m underground at the Hushan mine near Yantai in Shandong province after an explosion damaged the entrance.

After days without any signs of life, some of the trapped miners managed to send up a note attached to a metal wire, which rescuers had dropped into the mine on Sunday.

Pleading for help, the handwritten message said a dozen of them are alive, but surrounded by water and in need of urgent medical supplies.

The note also said several of the miners are injured.

A subsequent phone call with the miners revealed 11 are in one location 540m below the surface, with another – apparently alone – trapped a further 100m down.

The whereabouts and conditions of the other 10 miners are still unknown.

Rescuers have already dug three channels, and sent food, medicine, paper and pencils down thin shafts – lifelines to the miners cut into the earth.

But progress has been slow, according to Chen Fei, a top city official.

“The surrounding rock near the ore body is mostly granite... that is very hard, resulting in the slow progress of rescue.

“There is a lot of water in the shaft that may flow into the man-way and pose a danger to the trapped workers.”

Chen said the current food supply is enough for only two days.

Rescuers drilled three more channels yesterday, according to a rescue map published on the Yantai government’s official twitter-like Weibo account. 

A telephone connection has also been set up.

Footage from state broadcaster CCTV shows dozens of rescuers clearing the main return shaft, while cranes and a massive bore-hole drill are seen digging new rescue channels to reach the miners.

Citing provincial authorities, China Youth daily reported that rescue teams lost precious time since it took more than a day for the accident to be reported.

Both the local Communist Party secretary and mayor have been sacked over the 30-hour delay, and an official investigation is under way to determine the cause of the explosion.

Mining accidents are common in China, where the industry has a poor safety record, and regulations are often weakly enforced.

In December last year, 23 workers died after being stuck underground in the south-western city of Chongqing, just months after 16 others died from carbon monoxide poisoning after being trapped underground at another coal mine in the city. – AFP, January 19, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 8h

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

Driver responsible for deaths of two teenagers tests positive for drugs

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war