World

[UPDATED] First 7 of 22 trapped miners rescued from China mine

First victim brought to surface about 11am in 'extremely weak' physical condition

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Jan 2021 3:00PM

[UPDATED] First 7 of 22 trapped miners rescued from China mine
Mining accidents are common in China, where the industry has a poor safety record and regulations are often weakly enforced. – AFP pic, January 24, 2021

BEIJING – Efforts to save 22 miners trapped hundreds of metres underground for two weeks in east China have sped up dramatically, as rescue workers lifted out seven people today and hope to reach more, state media reported.

The first miner, brought to the surface at around 11am, was rushed to hospital in "extremely weak physical condition", reported state broadcaster CCTV. He was discovered in a separate section of the mine to a group of 10 the rescuers had previously contacted.

"The second batch of trapped miners were lifted out at 1.32pm – they were three of the 10 workers trapped in the fifth middle section whom (rescuers) already contacted. One of them is injured," reported CCTV. 

A third group of three miners was brought out at around 2pm, CCTV reported. 

Rescuers hope to save all ten miners in the first group today after the air ventilator shaft was cleared, the official state news agency Xinhua reported, citing the operation's command centre. 

Specialist teams have been battling difficult conditions to help the workers since an explosion at the Hushan mine in Shandong province sealed them underground amid rising waters on January 10. 

The explosion occurred in the air ventilator shaft, causing a blockage that damaged the cable car that allowed miners to ascend. 

State broadcaster footage today showed a small elevator carriage lifted to the surface by a huge drill, accompanied by rescue workers. A masked man, who appeared unable to stand, was carried out.

Later footage showed emergency workers lifting out the trapped miners who wore black masks "to protect their eyes", CCTV reported.

Contact was first established a week ago with a group of 11 miners trapped in a section of the mine around 580m below the surface.

One of them was seriously injured in the initial explosion and has been confirmed dead after suffering head injuries and falling into a coma.

Rescue teams have been lowering food, medicine and other supplies to the group through several "lifeline" shafts drilled into the rock. 

State media reported on Friday that the trapped workers' physical health is gradually returning to a "normal state" after regular deliveries of food.

Life detectors and nutrient solutions have been lowered to other parts of the mine to find the other missing miners.

A 12th miner is believed to be trapped on his own, 100m further down in rising waters – but rescue teams have been unable to contact him.

For the other nine miners, hopes are dwindling as they have not been heard from since the explosion.

Official news agency Xinhua reported the miners have been trying to help search for the missing group using laser pointers and loudspeakers, but have received no reply.

Rescue workers said Friday it could take at least another two weeks to free the miners, citing a massive blockage that has delayed drilling efforts, according to state media.

Last month, 23 workers died after becoming stuck underground in the southwestern city of Chongqing. – AFP, January 24, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation