World

India, China discuss further troop pullback from border

Both countries sent thousands of extra troops and military hardware to the area following a deadly clash last year

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Feb 2021 4:30PM

India, China discuss further troop pullback from border
Indian Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar says once disengagement is completed both sides can work towards restoration of peace and tranquillity. – Twitter pic, February 26, 2021

NEW DELHI – India and China's foreign ministers have discussed further de-escalating tensions at a disputed border after a pullback of troops in response to a deadly clash last year, New Delhi and Beijing said today.

The nuclear-armed neighbours fought a border war in 1962 and last June their worst skirmish in decades left 20 Indian troops and four Chinese dead on the inhospitable frontier between Ladakh and Tibet, the Line of Actual Control.

Both sides have sent thousands of extra troops and military hardware to the area since the clash.

But India on Sunday said the two countries had completed a “disengagement” of troops and tanks from one part of the disputed zone around the high-altitude Pangong Tso lake, following nine rounds of military talks.

In a 75-minute call with counterpart Wang Yi on Thursday, Indian Foreign Minister S. Jaishankar said they “should now quickly resolve the remaining issues”, according to his office.

“(Jaishankar) said that once disengagement is completed at all friction points, then the two sides could also look at broader de-escalation of troops in the area and work towards restoration of peace and tranquillity,” a statement said.

Wang said the situation on the ground in the Pangong Tso lake area had “significantly eased”, according to a report from China's official Xinhua news agency.

“The two sides must cherish the hard-won progress, jointly consolidate the achievements and maintain the momentum of consultation, so as to further ease the situation,” he was quoted as saying.

Xinhua reported that Wang said the border issue “is not the whole story of China-India relations, and should be placed in a proper position in their relationship”.

But he added that India “has vacillated and even moved backward over its policy on China, which has affected and disrupted bilateral pragmatic cooperation”.

The two sides said they had agreed to establish a hotline, although one is already in place between senior military commanders. – AFP, February 26, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt