World

Hong Kong reform proposals ‘reasonable’, says Chinese FM

Proposed rules will promote ‘transition from chaos to governance’, says Wang Yi

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Mar 2021 7:00PM

Hong Kong reform proposals ‘reasonable’, says Chinese FM
Wang Yi says the proposed rules will promote ‘Hong Kong’s transition from chaos to governance’, and are ‘completely constitutional’. – AFP pic, March 7, 2021

HONG KONG – Beijing’s controversial proposal to introduce new veto powers on Hong Kong’s legislative elections are “lawful, just, and reasonable”, China’s foreign minister said today, after the move was criticised as an attack on the city’s freedoms.

Legislation to allow China’s communist rulers to vet all election candidates in Hong Kong was put forward on Friday at the opening of the nation’s rubber-stamp Parliament in Beijing.

Foreign Minister Wang Yi, speaking at a press conference on the congress’ sidelines in Beijing, said the proposed change was necessary to “maintain enduring peace and stability in Hong Kong” following huge and sometimes violent pro-democracy rallies in 2019.

Wang said today the proposed rules would promote “Hong Kong's transition from chaos to governance”, and were “completely constitutional”.

The draft decision was announced a day after dozens of democracy campaigners in the former British colony were jailed under a national security law passed during last year’s parliamentary session.

Legislation submitted to Congress is nearly always approved overwhelmingly by the Communist Party-controlled chamber.

The proposed rules drew swift international condemnation, with the United States and European Union saying China was violating guarantees of autonomy granted to Hong Kong during the transition from British rule in 1997.

The move constitutes “a direct attack” on Hong Kong’s freedoms, US State Department spokesman Ned Price said.

Beijing has moved quickly to dismantle the financial hub’s democratic pillars in response to huge protests that paralysed the city for months.

Chinese officials have repeatedly said in recent weeks that only “staunch patriots” – those loyal to the Communist Party – should be involved in governing Hong Kong.

Wang on Friday said “to love Hong Kong and to be a patriot are exactly the same thing”. – AFP, March 7, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Events / 6d

Over 700 students from over 20 countries gather in Hong Kong summit

Malaysia / 4w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse