World

FBI shares fresh footage of Washington bomb suspect

Man believed to have planted home-made pipe bombs on night before Capitol violence

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 10 Mar 2021 2:30PM

FBI shares fresh footage of Washington bomb suspect
Supporters of former US president Donald Trump scaling up a wall at the Capitol in an attack on January 6. The riot led to five deaths. – Twitter pic, March 10, 2021

WASHINGTON – The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) yesterday released new images of a man suspected of placing home-made pipe bombs here on January 5 – the night before the assault on the Capitol – in an effort to gather identifying information about him.

The video, published on the FBI’s official YouTube channel, shows several angles of surveillance footage of the suspect as he walks along streets in the Capitol Hill neighbourhood of the city. 

Dressed in dark pants, a light-coloured hoodie and gloves, the man’s face is obscured by glasses and a mask as he carries a bag in one hand. 

The FBI has already released still photos of the suspect – including ones that show identifying details of his Nike sneakers – and offered US$100,000 (RM412,650) for any information leading to his arrest. 

The man is suspected of planting the home-made bombs near the headquarters of both the Republican and Democratic Parties, which are near the Capitol.

The bombs never detonated and may have been placed as a distraction to keep police away when a pro-Donald Trump mob breached the building where lawmakers were voting to certify Joe Biden’s presidential election victory. 

“We still believe there is someone out there who has information they may not have realised was significant until now,” said Steven D’Antuono, assistant director of the FBI’s Washington office, asking for the public’s help to identify the suspect. 

“These pipe bombs were viable devices that could have been detonated, resulting in serious injury or death.”

Five people died in the course of the Capitol attack on January 6, and more than 300 people have been arrested for their participation so far, including some charged with conspiracy.

Yesterday, the deployment of National Guard troops sent to protect the Capitol since the attack was extended until May, with the numbers cut by half to 2,300.

The Pentagon said Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin has approved a request from Capitol police for continued National Guard support, but gave no details on any threat of a further attack. – Bernama, March 10, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 5mth

MACC part of international operation to dismantle Leakbase cybercrime forum

Malaysia / 11mth

PDRM Counter Terrorism collected early intelligence on Al-Qaeda 22 months before 9/11 attacks

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 1y

Pulau Sibuan set to reopen on Jan 15 after bomb scare 

Malaysia / 1y

Semporna MP urges swift action after Sibuan Island bomb scare

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China