World

Philippines to shut border to foreigners as virus cases surge

Temporary measures come after the number of daily cases hit a seven-month high of 5,404

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 Mar 2021 5:30PM

Philippines to shut border to foreigners as virus cases surge
Most Covid-19 infections are in Metro Manila, where targeted lockdowns, night-time curfews and a stay-at-home order for all children are being used to curb the spread. – AFP pic, March 17, 2021

MANILA – The Philippines will close its border to foreigners and restrict the number of Filipinos entering the country as authorities battle to contain a spike in coronavirus infections.

The temporary measures come after the number of daily cases hit a seven-month high of 5,404 on Monday and experts predict the figure could double by the end of March.

Most of the active infections are in Metro Manila, where targeted lockdowns, night-time curfews and a stay-at-home order for all children are being used to curb the spread.

The ban on overseas arrivals was announced late yesterday by the government’s Covid-19 task force and takes effect March 20.

Overseas Filipino workers will be exempt, but the number of passenger arrivals will be limited to 1,500 a day, it said.  

Authorities have blamed the infection surge on poor compliance with health protocols, such as wearing a mask and face shield in public, and more contagious variants of the virus.

A year after ordering the first lockdown that crippled the country’s economy, threw millions out of work and triggered record hunger, President Rodrigo Duterte urged Filipinos to “not despair”. 

“It’s a small thing in our lives. We went through (things that) are more severe, more difficult and brought more tears,” Duterte said Monday.

His remarks sparked anger among social media users and opposition lawmakers who accused him of belittling the suffering of health workers and people who have lost loved ones to the disease. 

Duterte’s government has been flayed over its handling of the pandemic, which has infected more than 630,000 people. Nearly 13,000 have died.

The hospital bed occupancy rate is at 59% in Metro Manila and surrounding provinces, presidential spokesman Harry Roque – who has tested positive for Covid-19 – said yesterday. 

But at Philippine General Hospital, one of the country’s main facilities treating Covid-19 patients, 80% of beds for patients diagnosed with the disease were occupied and its intensive care wards full, a spokesman told local media.

The government hopes to inoculate 70 million people by the end of this year.

More than a million doses of vaccines developed by China’s Sinovac and British-Swedish drug-maker AstraZeneca have been delivered in the past two weeks. 

The government hopes to have “a stable supply of vaccines starting April or May”, said retired general Carlito Galvez, who is overseeing the effort.

About 216,000 health workers have received their first jab so far, he said.

Authorities aim to inoculate 1.7 million medical staff by mid-April before distributing vaccines to the elderly and poor. – AFP, March 17, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Opinion / 2mth

ASEAN’s renaissance: A new lease of life in the multipolar world

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar proposes ASEAN food security standby arrangement during crises

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas denies involvement in reported diesel shipment to Philippines

Malaysia / 4mth

Sabah claim frequently used as political polemic in Philippines - Hajiji

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse