World

Tokyo Games organisers meet on overseas fan ban

Latest move a bid to reduce virus risks, win over sceptical public

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Mar 2021 6:30PM

Tokyo Games organisers meet on overseas fan ban
Tokyo 2020 chief Seiko Hashimoto says it may be difficult for even the families of foreign athletes to attend the Games, amid consideration to ban overseas fans altogether in view of the pandemic. – AFP pic, March 20, 2021

TOKYO – Olympic organisers meet Saturday for talks expected to bar overseas fans from this summer’s pandemic-delayed Tokyo Games, in a bid to reduce virus risks and win over a sceptical public.

The move would be an unprecedented decision that will further scale back once-grand ambitions for the pandemic event.

When the decision to postpone the Games was taken last year, officials said the delay would allow them to hold the event as “proof of humanity’s triumph over the virus.”

But instead, the Games are shaping up to be a largely television event for most of the world, with little of the international party atmosphere that usually characterises an Olympics.

Today’s meeting will bring together officials from the International Olympic Committee, International Paralympic Committee, Tokyo 2020 organisers, the Tokyo city government, and Japan’s government.

Their decision has been widely anticipated in recent weeks, with leaks suggesting organisers believe a bar on overseas fans is the only option as they work to make the Games safe despite the pandemic.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has reportedly sought limited exemptions for some overseas guests, but the rules are likely to be strict.

Tokyo 2020 chief Seiko Hashimoto has admitted it will be “difficult” for even the families of foreign athletes to attend.

Just how many domestic spectators will be in venues this summer has yet to be decided.

Organisers originally suggested they would rule on that by April, but IOC chief Thomas Bach has said the decision could be pushed closer to the July 23 opening ceremony.

‘Never happened’

Whatever they decide, there is no doubt that barring overseas fans will help make the Games a very different event from years past.

“It has never happened that foreign spectators were banned from entering the host country at the time of the Games, even during the Spanish flu at the time of the Antwerp 1920 Olympic Games,” said Jean-Loup Chappelet, a Lausanne-based professor who specialises in the Olympics.

“Even for Athens 1896, the Cook agency organised ‘packages’ for those who wanted to attend the first modern Games.”

When the Games were postponed last year, organisers and Japanese officials had hoped that the pandemic would be receding by spring 2021.

They proclaimed the event would mark the light at the end of the pandemic tunnel, and a celebration of the end of a global crisis.

But even with vaccines rolling out in much of the world, the virus continues to cause havoc, and the narrative from Olympic officials looks to be changing.

In an interview last week, Tokyo 2020 chief executive Toshiro Muto acknowledged that the virus situation in the Japanese capital remains “extremely serious” and talked about the Games as offering “solidarity” during a difficult time.

Japan’s public remains sceptical about the safety of the event, with a majority opposed to holding it this year and favouring either cancellation or further postponement.

But organisers and Olympic officials have said neither of those are options, and they have put together virus rulebooks they say will ensure the Games are safe regardless of the pandemic.

IOC is also encouraging athletes to get vaccinated, even securing a supply of doses from China to offer to those in countries without advanced inoculation programmes.

The year-long delay and virus safety countermeasures have helped balloon Tokyo 2020’s already mammoth budget to an eyewatering ¥1.64 trillion (RM61.8 billion), making the Games potentially the most expensive summer Olympics in history.

And any decision to bar overseas spectators is likely to put a new hole in organisers’ budget, with an estimated 900,000 tickets reportedly already sold to fans abroad. – AFP, March 20, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

World / 3w

7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Kyushu island

Malaysia / 2mth

PM: Students abroad should gain positive values ​​from the local community

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar instructs MetMalaysia to expedite cloud seeding in Kedah, Perlis

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured