World

UN Security Council ‘strongly’ condemns Myanmar violence, civilian deaths

Unanimous statement however has scope, language softened by Myanmar ally China

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Apr 2021 8:30AM

UN Security Council ‘strongly’ condemns Myanmar violence, civilian deaths
Since the February 1 coup, the Security Council has issued three unanimous statements on Myanmar. – AFP, pic April 2, 2021

YANGON – The UN Security Council yesterday “strongly condemned” the deaths of hundreds of civilians in Myanmar, in a unanimous statement watered down by China after two days of tough negotiations.

“Members of the Security Council expressed deep concern at the rapidly deteriorating situation and strongly condemned the use of violence against peaceful protestors and the deaths of hundreds of civilians, including women and children,” read the statement, initiated by former colonial power Britain.

In earlier versions of the text, Western nations wanted to include a “readiness to consider further steps” – a reference to the possibility of international sanctions. 

But China, considered Myanmar’s most important ally, blocked the language, diplomats said.

Beijing also insisted on softening a reference to the “killing” of hundreds of civilians and changing it to civilian “deaths”.

Russia, diplomats said, also blocked the text several times because Moscow wanted a sentence condemning the death of security forces members in demonstrations.

Still, despite the lengthy negotiations, getting the Security Council to speak with one voice sent a “very important signal”, one ambassador said on condition of anonymity. 

Since the February 1 coup, the Security Council has issued three unanimous statements on Myanmar.

But Beijing, which has never recognised the existence of a coup, reduced the scope of the negotiated texts each time.

Moreover, the Security Council’s positions have had little effect on the military so far.

On Wednesday, the UN’s special envoy on Myanmar called for strong actions against the junta and warned of a possible “bloodbath” and the risk of civil war. – AFP, April 2, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 6h

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

Malaysia / 4d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 4d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse