World

Indonesia hospital ships to help treat cyclone injured

Storm Seroja has claimed over 150 lives in country and neighbouring East Timor

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Apr 2021 6:00PM

Indonesia hospital ships to help treat cyclone injured
The Indonesian navy’s hospital ships will depart for flood-hit areas from Jakarta and Semarang. – AFP pic, April 7, 2021

LEMBATA (Indonesia) – The Indonesian navy today readied hospital ships to help treat injured survivors of a cyclone that has killed over 150 in the archipelago and neighbouring East Timor, said the disaster agency.

Helicopters are also dropping food and other essential items into remote villages, as rescuers turn to sniffer dogs in the hunt for dozens still missing after weekend floods and landslides devastated the Southeast Asian nations.

Torrential rains from Tropical Cyclone Seroja, one of the most destructive storms to hit the region in years, turned small communities into wastelands of mud, uprooted trees, and sent around 10,000 people fleeing to shelters.

The storm swept buildings in some villages down a mountainside, and to the shore of the ocean on the island here, where several small communities have been wiped off the map. 

The disaster agency said sniffer dogs will hunt through mountains of debris and rubble in the hopes of finding the bodies of some 76 missing victims – and any survivors.

About 120 people have been listed as dead in a remote cluster of islands at the eastern end of the archipelago.

Another 34 people have been listed as killed in East Timor – a tiny half-island nation of 1.3 million sandwiched between Indonesia and Australia that is officially known as Timor-Leste.

Its capital, Dili, is inundated, with the front of its presidential palace transformed into a mud pit.

The hospital ships are due to leave Jakarta and Semarang, a city east of Indonesia’s capital, for the disaster-struck region, said Raditya Jati, a spokesman for the disaster agency.

Rescuers have spent the past few days using diggers and shovels to extract mud-covered corpses from the debris.

Hospitals, bridges and thousands of homes were damaged or destroyed by the storm, which flattened scores of small villages.

Authorities in both countries are also battling to avoid the spread of Covid-19 at crammed evacuation shelters. 

East Timor quickly shut its borders last year to avoid a widespread outbreak that threatened to overwhelm its creaky healthcare system.

Fatal landslides and flash floods are common across the Indonesian archipelago during the rainy season. 

January saw floods hitting the town of Sumedang in West Java, killing 40 people.  

Last September, at least 11 people were killed in landslides in Borneo. 

The disaster agency has estimated that 125 million Indonesians – nearly half of the nation’s population – live in areas at risk of landslides.

The disasters are often caused by deforestation, according to environmentalists. – AFP, April 7, 2021

Related News

World / 1w

Powerful earthquake strikes off coast of Indonesia; tsunami warning issued

Events / 2w

Former Indonesian president in Penang next month for inaugural Peace Dialogue

Malaysia / 3mth

PJ MP slammed for ‘media statements without solutions’

Malaysia / 3mth

Heavy rains trigger flash floods in several locations around the Klang Valley (video)

Malaysia / 3mth

Jalan Kuchai Lama hit by floods again after four years (video)

Malaysia / 4mth

Hajiji denies claims Sebatik Island land was handed over to Indonesia

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan