World

Philippines suspends AstraZeneca vaccine for under 60s

Manila to await results of review by local experts, as well as official WHO guidance

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Apr 2021 11:30PM

Philippines suspends AstraZeneca vaccine for under 60s
The Philippines is seeing a record surge in coronavirus infections that has forced more than 24 million people in the capital and surrounding provinces into a lockdown. – AFP pic, April 8, 2021

MANILA – The Philippine Health Department today suspended the use of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 jab for people under 60 after reports of blood clots overseas, in a setback for the country’s already slow vaccine roll-out.

It comes amid a record surge in coronavirus infections that has forced more than 24 million people in the capital and surrounding provinces into a lockdown. 

Several European countries have suspended the use of AstraZeneca’s vaccine for younger populations after it was earlier banned outright in several places over blood clot scares.

The EU’s medicines regulator said yesterday blood clots should be listed as rare side effects of the jab, but the benefits continue to outweigh the risks. 

“While we have not seen such incidents in the country, the FDA has recommended to temporarily suspend the use of the vaccine for persons below 60 years old as we await results of the review being done by our local experts, as well as the official guidance of the WHO,” Food and Drug Administration director-general Eric Domingo said.

The Philippines has received around 2.5 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines so far – the majority from China’s Sinovac. 

It also got 525,600 AstraZeneca doses through the Covax programme, most of which have been administered already, according to official data.

The country expects another three million AstraZeneca doses in the coming months. 

President Rodrigo Duterte’s government has been skewered by critics over its handling of the pandemic and efforts to secure vaccines.

The 2.5 million doses received so far represent a fraction of the shots Manila has been negotiating with seven manufacturers to secure. 

The bulk of the supply is not expected until later this year.

But the challenge is not limited to stock.

Low public confidence in vaccines remains after the country became the first to deploy the dengue vaccine Dengvaxia in 2016.

A botched roll-out led to unfounded claims that several dozen children had died from the jab, and a recent survey showed about 60% of the population were unwilling to be inoculated against Covid-19.

“I want to emphasise that this temporary suspension DOES NOT MEAN that the vaccine is unsafe or ineffective – it just means that we are taking precautionary measures to ensure the safety of every Filipino,” Domingo said in the statement.

The World Health Organisation’s Western Pacific office yesterday backed the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine in the region. 

“Available data do not suggest any overall increase in the clotting conditions in the vaccinated population as compared to the general population,” Socorro Escalante, WHO essential medicines coordinator, told reporters.  

The European Medicines Agency examined 86 blood clotting cases, 18 of which were fatal, out of around 25 million people in Europe who received the AstraZeneca vaccine. Most of the cases were in women aged under 60. – AFP, April 8, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Opinion / 2mth

ASEAN’s renaissance: A new lease of life in the multipolar world

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar proposes ASEAN food security standby arrangement during crises

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas denies involvement in reported diesel shipment to Philippines

Malaysia / 4mth

Sabah claim frequently used as political polemic in Philippines - Hajiji

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse