World

Police bust 100 at underground Paris restaurant

Guests fined for violating health rules, organiser and manager arrested

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Apr 2021 2:30PM

Police bust 100 at underground Paris restaurant
The interior of Palais Vivienne apartment, owned by French collector Pierre-Jean Chalencon. Chalencon claimed to have held several dinners at the luxury venue in central Paris attended by ministers. – AFP pic, April 11, 2021

PARIS – Police here said yesterday they had fined more than 100 diners at an underground restaurant flouting coronavirus restrictions and arrested its organiser, after a week of allegations that ministers attended similar rule-breaking events.

Officers were “called out for an excessive noise complaint about a restaurant” late Friday and “put an end to a gathering of over 110 people”, the French capital’s police posted on Twitter.

“Guests fined for failing to respect applicable health measures. Organiser and manager arrested,” they added.

The prosecutor’s office said the two were released yesterday as the investigation continues.

In a second incident in Saint-Ouen, just outside Paris, police fined 62 people at lunchtime on Friday, news channel BFMTV reported.

Police tweeted that they had arrested the manager of that restaurant as well.

Underground restaurants offering wealthy people a pre-coronavirus dining experience have made headlines in France throughout this week.

The M6 private television channel last week broadcast a story based on footage recorded with a hidden camera purportedly from a clandestine restaurant in a high-end area here where neither the staff nor the diners were wearing masks.

Participants were shown enjoying caviar and champagne at the event costing €220 euros (RM1,082) per person.

All restaurants and cafes have been closed in France for eating-in for the last five months. The country this week began a new limited nationwide lockdown to deal with surging Covid-19 infections.

One of the organisers of the dinner shown by M6, businessman and collector Pierre-Jean Chalencon, was briefly detained for questioning by police Friday alongside chef Christophe Leroy.

Chalencon had claimed to have held several dinners at his luxury Palais Vivienne venue in central Paris attended by ministers.

“At this stage of the investigation, there is no evidence that indicates any members of the government took part in the dinners being investigated,” prosecutors said after interviewing him.

The former interior minister Brice Hortefeux told AFP he did attend a “professional lunch” with a journalist late last month that was organised by Leroy.

But he said he was informed it was completely legal because it was in a private and isolated apartment rather than in a restaurant.

“We were less than six, no rule was broken,” Hortefeux said, adding “it was very disturbing” to be linked with the illegal dinners for which Leroy is facing legal questions. – AFP, April 11, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Singaporean man charged with obstructing police, possessing weapon (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Delivery rider’s birthday gesture leaves young boy smiling (video)

Malaysia / 4w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Events / 1mth

Penang proposes partnership with Medan in the food industry and farming sectors

Places / 2mth

Hungary looks towards greater collaboration with Penang

Opinion / 3mth

The Islamic business revolution in Southern Thailand

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations