World

Trump rejects virtual format, Oct 15 US presidential debate cancelled

This leaves just the October 22 debate before the November 3 election

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 10 Oct 2020 8:40AM

Trump rejects virtual format, Oct 15 US presidential debate cancelled
The plan to hold a virtual presidential debate has been cancelled after Donald Trump refused to participate. – AFP file pic, October 10, 2020

WASHINGTON – The Commission on Presidential Debates said it has cancelled next week’s showdown between Donald Trump and his challenger Joe Biden, after the president said he would not participate in a virtual format.

“Each (candidate) now has announced alternate plans for that date,” the commission said in a statement, adding “it is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15”.

The move leaves just one more debate on the schedule – October 22 in Nashville, Tennessee – before the November 3 election.

Debates have been a feature of every US presidential election since 1976, with three debates near the end of a campaign the standard since 2000.

The commission had announced yesterday it was converting the October 15 town hall debate to a virtual affair out of an abundance of caution because Trump had tested positive for the coronavirus.

But the president, who has been eager to return to the campaign trail and hold live events, refused to participate in the virtual format and sought unsuccessfully to return it to an in-person debate.

Biden had said earlier this week he would not debate Trump in person if he still had the virus, and his campaign called Trump’s refusal to adapt to a virtual format “shameful”.

“It’s shameful that Donald Trump ducked the only debate in which the voters get to ask the questions – but it’s no surprise,” Biden spokesman Andrew Bates said.

Trump “doesn’t have the guts to answer for his record to voters at the same time as vice-president Biden”.

The US president meanwhile plans to hold his first live event at the White House since being diagnosed with Covid-19.

All attendees will be told to wear masks, and will have to submit to a Covid-19 screening the morning itself. This will consist of a temperature check and a brief questionnaire, according to a source familiar with the preparations. – AFP, October 10, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 9mth

The power of being in the room

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

World / 2y

FBI identifies Trump shooter asThomas Matthew Crooks, 20

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar condemns assassination attempt on Trump

World / 2y

Trump hurt in assassination attempt

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)