World

WHO official spikes Italy Covid-19 report to avoid angering Rome

He says paper puts path of building trust, confidence in jeopardy between country, organisation

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Apr 2021 6:30AM

WHO official spikes Italy Covid-19 report to avoid angering Rome
Italian prosecutors are conducting a wider investigation into the potential mismanagement of the Covid-19 pandemic when it first hit Italy early last year. – Pixabay pic, April 20, 2021

ROME – A senior World Health Organisation official spiked a critical report on Italy’s response to Covid-19 to avoid a political confrontation with Rome, according to Italian prosecution documents sighted by AFP yesterday.

Ranieri Guerra – special adviser to WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus – is being investigated by prosecutors from the Italian city of Bergamo for lying to them about the handling of the report.

The 102-page WHO report, analysing Italy’s early response to the pandemic and written by a small office of the United Nations agency in Venice, was released on May 13 last year, and pulled the next day.

It concluded that Italy had an outdated pandemic preparedness plan, dating from 2006, and its hospitals’ first reaction to the virus was “improvised, chaotic and creative”.

“I was brutal with the idiots of the Venice document,” Guerra, until recently one of 11 WHO assistant director generals, wrote on May 17 to a senior health official here, according to the Italian prosecutors.

“I sent profuse apologies to the (Italian health) minister... In the end, I went right up to Tedros and I had the document withdrawn.”

In another message to the same official, from May 14, Guerra said the Venice WHO team had “put in jeopardy a path of building trust and confidence” between Italy and WHO that he had been working on.

“Furthermore, they are putting at risk a very serious discussion that has started, also looking ahead to the G20 (which Italy will chair this year), and to a special relationship between Tedros and Italy.”

Two weeks later, Guerra told the health official he spoke with Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza and his chief of cabinet, and agreed with them to jointly rewrite the spiked report.

The messages are quoted in a document compiled by prosecutors in Bergamo, which informed WHO that they are investigating Guerra for lying to them and asking for the UN agency’s help.

The prosecutors say Guerra told them that Speranza called him the day the report was published to express his “displeasure”, and that he passed on the message to the WHO Europe office in Copenhagen.

Speranza, speaking on RAI public television on Sunday, denied putting any pressure on WHO to scrap the publication, and insisted its contents were not particularly problematic for Italy.

For its part, WHO has said the report was pulled by its Copenhagen office because of “factual inaccuracies”, and denied that politics had anything to do with the decision.

The report’s main author, Francesco Zambon, has resigned and is accusing WHO of compromising its independence with its apparent reluctance to criticise national governments.

Bergamo prosecutors are conducting a wider investigation into the potential mismanagement of the Covid-19 pandemic when it first hit Italy early last year.

More than 117,000 people have since died.

Including Guerra, prosecutors have placed five local and regional health officials under investigation, amid allegations that they failed to properly quarantine the Bergamo province at the start of the outbreak. – AFP, April 20, 2021

Related News

Community / 1mth

Penang: Old age is not a problem, but a new reality to embrace, says Exco

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Community / 3mth

Penang on track to ensure the best for the aged

World / 3mth

European countries monitor cruise-linked Hantavirus cases as WHO urges calm

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

World / 6mth

Man's body believed to have been eaten by his 3 pet pit bulls

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt