World

Indonesian navy searching for submarine with 53 aboard

Vessel requests permission to dive, loses contact without resurfacing

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Apr 2021 9:55PM

Indonesian navy searching for submarine with 53 aboard
Singapore, Australia and India are ready to help in response to the Indonesian navy’s international distress signal to locate its missing submarine. – EPA/Indonesian navy pic, April 21, 2021

JAKARTA – Indonesia’s military said it was searching for a submarine with 53 crew aboard after losing contact with the vessel during naval exercises off the coast of Bali today.

The German-built KRI Nanggala 402 was scheduled to do live torpedo exercises when it asked for permission to dive early this morning, authorities said. 

“After permission was given according to the procedure, the submarine lost contact and could not be reached,” the defence ministry said. 

A helicopter looking for the missing vessel spotted an oil spill in waters where the submarine was thought to have submerged, it added. 

The navy said it has not pinpointed the exact location of the submarine but had narrowed down the search based on the spill. 

The oil “could indicate damage on the body” of the submarine, navy spokesman Julius Widjojono told MetroTV. 

The military has dispatched some 400 personnel and two warships in the hunt, while a third vessel was being deployed from the capital Jakarta.

It also sent out an international distress signal, and “several countries have responded and are ready to help including Singapore, Australia and India,” the republic’s Defence Ministry said.

There were 53 crew aboard the vessel, which was believed to be in waters about 700m deep. 

Indonesia, which has been moving to upgrade its military equipment in recent years, has five German and South Korean-built submarines in its fleet.

The 1,300-tonne KRI Nanggala 402 was built in 1978, according to a government website. 

While the Southeast Asian archipelago has not previously suffered a major submarine disaster, other countries have been struck by accidents in the past. – AFP, April 21, 2021

Related News

World / 1w

Powerful earthquake strikes off coast of Indonesia; tsunami warning issued

Events / 2w

Former Indonesian president in Penang next month for inaugural Peace Dialogue

Malaysia / 4mth

Hajiji denies claims Sebatik Island land was handed over to Indonesia

Sports & Fitness / 6mth

Malaysia clinches three titles at Indonesia Masters

Sports & Fitness / 7mth

Valencia coach Fernando Martin dies in Indonesia boat accident

Malaysia / 8mth

Halmahera earthquake in Indonesia today poses no tsunami threat to Malaysia

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing