World

Tehran to impose fines for virus regulation breaches as caseload soars

The virus has now killed more than 28,000 people and infected more than 492,300 in Iran

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 10 Oct 2020 8:00PM

Tehran to impose fines for virus regulation breaches as caseload soars
People, mask-clad as a Covid-19 pandemic precaution, walk past shops along a street in Iran's capital Tehran on September 27. – AFP pic, October 10, 2020

TEHRAN – Iran is to start imposing fines for breaches of health regulations in the capital, President Hassan Rouhani announced on Saturday, after daily coronavirus infections hit a record high this week.

Iran has previously held back from using fines to enforce mask wearing in public and other health protocols, but they will now be imposed in the capital Tehran, Rouhani told a televised meeting of the country's coronavirus taskforce.

The police, the Basij paramilitary force and health inspectors will have powers to impose the fines, and offenders will have two weeks to make payment into a health ministry account, Rouhani said in a televised speech during the weekly coronavirus taskforce meeting.

Breaches punishable by a fine include refusal to quarantine while sick and failure to wear a mask in a public space or require a customer to do so.

Fines range from 500,000 rials (RM6.60) for not wearing a mask to a maximum of 10 million for businesses not observing health protocols.

The fines represent a not insignificant sum for Iranians who have endured a deep recession since Washington reimposed crippling economic sanctions in 2018.

The minimum monthly wage stands at around 18 million rials, worth less than US$60 following a sharp fall in the value of the currency.

Iran's daily death toll from the novel coronavirus hit a record high of 239 on Wednesday. Daily infections reached a new high of 4,392 the following day.

The virus has now killed more than 28,000 people and infected more than 492,300 in Iran, according to health ministry figures.

Tehran authorities shut most public spaces and cancelled public events for a week last Saturday in a bid to contain the spread of the virus.

Those restrictions have been extended until Wednesday, governor Anoushirvan Mohseni-Bandpey told state television. – AFP, October 10, 2020

Related News

World / 18h

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World / 1d

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Opinion / 1mth

US attacks in the Gulf show the weaknesses of MOUs

World / 1mth

Iran’s My Lai: The Minab school bombing and the reckoning that never comes

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons