World

Marshall Islands records first coronavirus cases

Two workers at a US Army garrison on Kwajalein Atoll had tested positive for coronavirus after arriving on a military flight

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Oct 2020 10:03AM

Marshall Islands records first coronavirus cases
'Confirmation of Covid-19 was a blow for the nation of almost 80,000'. – Pixabay pic, October 29, 2020

MAJURO – The Marshall Islands in the Pacific has confirmed its first Covid-19 cases – ending the archipelago's status as one of the few nations in the world to remain virus free.

The Marshalls government announced late Wednesday that two workers at a US Army garrison on Kwajalein Atoll had tested positive for coronavirus after arriving on a military flight from Hawaii on Tuesday.

It stressed the pair – a 35-year-old woman and 46-year-old man – had no community contact during their time in the Marshalls.

"We can assure the public that these are strictly border cases and were discovered while these people were in quarantine, where they remain until this time," Chief Secretary Kino Kabua said in a statement.

The Marshalls, a group of islands and atolls about halfway between Australia and Hawaii, closed its borders in early March in a bid to keep out the virus.

Pacific island nations were swift to isolate themselves, despite the economic cost, amid fears their poor health infrastructure made them particularly vulnerable to the pandemic.

As a result, the remote island nations and territories of Kiribati, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu are believed to be still free of the virus.

The Solomon Islands lost its virus-free status in early October.

Since June, the Marshalls had eased restrictions slightly to allow in some people, mostly US military base workers, subject to a strict three-week quarantine at the Kwajalein garrison.

The two Americans who tested positive had returned negative swabs before departing Hawaii and were both asymptomatic, Kabua said.

She said the woman had previously had Covid-19 in late July and tests were being carried out to see if the case was historical, and not contagious – while the man had no history of infection.

Ebon Atoll Mayor Marie Davis Milne, a frequent critic of border relaxation, said confirmation of Covid-19 was a blow for the nation of almost 80,000.

"What we were worried about has come true," she posted on social media.

"Now lives are going to be put on hold because a handful of people made the decisions they did for whatever reasons. 

"Life as we all knew it will be in limbo until further notice because of the choices of a few." – AFP, October 29, 2020

Related News

World / 22h

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident