World

Ship from same firm that blocked Suez Canal runs aground in US

No injuries, spills, or other vessels being blocked, clarifies port administration

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 15 Mar 2022 12:00PM

Ship from same firm that blocked Suez Canal runs aground in US
The Ever Forward accident comes almost exactly a year after the 200,000-ton container ship MV Ever Given became wedged in the Suez Canal during a sandstorm, blocking the key waterway for six days. – @jsrailton Twitter pic, March 15, 2022

WASHINGTON – A massive container ship, owned by the same company whose vessel last year blocked the Suez Canal, has run aground near the United States port of Baltimore, US officials said yesterday.

The Ever Forward, a 334m vessel, ran aground in the Chesapeake Bay shortly after leaving a Baltimore port on Sunday night, said the executive director of the Maryland Port Administration, William Doyle, in a statement.

“There have been no injuries or spills,” Doyle clarified.

“The ship’s grounding is not preventing other ships from transiting to the port of Baltimore,” he added, noting that efforts had been underway since Sunday night to free the stranded vessel.

The accident came almost exactly a year after the 200,000-ton container ship MV Ever Given became wedged in the Suez Canal during a sandstorm, blocking the key waterway for six days.

The Suez Canal is a vital artery from Asia to Europe that carries 10% of global maritime trade and provides Egypt with vital revenues.

Both vessels are owned by the Evergreen Marine Corp., which is based out of Taiwan.

The Ever Forward was bound for Norfolk, Virginia, when the accident happened, US media reported. – AFP, March 15, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Sea dragons: Maritime enforcement agency on heightened alert for incursions on territorial waters

World / 3y

Tugboats save the Suez Canal again: another stuck ship refloated 

Business / 4y

Suez Canal records highest ever annual revenue of US$7 bil

World / 4y

Australia offers Samoa new coastguard vessel as part of charm offensive

Business / 5y

Megaship that blocked Suez heads back to Asia

World / 5y

Egypt to release megaship impounded over Suez blockage

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces