World

Tiktok granted 15-day extension to reach deal with US buyers

Ban is 'pure paranoia', says senior researcher

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 15 Nov 2020 12:50AM

Tiktok granted 15-day extension to reach deal with US buyers
On August 6, US President Donald Trump issues an executive order banning US transactions with TikTok and ByteDance after 45 days, citing national security concerns. – AFP pic, November 14, 2020

WASHINGTON – Popular video-sharing app, TikTok, was granted by the United States government a 15-day extension to reach a deal with US buyers, reports Xinhua news quoted a federal court filing showed yesterday.

This means the deadline for ByteDance, TikTok's Chinese parent company, to reach a deal with Oracle and Walmart has been extended from November 12 to November 27, according to the US District Court for the District of Columbia.

Treasury Spokesperson Monica Crowley said in a statement that this extension will give the parties and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) additional time to resolve this case in a manner that complies with the president's order.

On August 6, US President Donald Trump issued an executive order banning US transactions with TikTok and ByteDance after 45 days, citing national security concerns.

On August 14, Trump signed another executive order that forces ByteDance to sell or spin off its US TikTok business within 90 days, setting the deadline of November 12, Thursday.

"There is absolutely no evidence that TikTok poses a threat to US national security," Gary Hufbauer, a former US Treasury official and non-resident senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, told Xinhua earlier.

"The claim is based on speculation that any mobile device with a Chinese app can be used to spy on Americans," Hufbauer said. “Paranoia, pure and simple.”

In September, Trump gave preliminary approval for ByteDance to sell the app to US buyers, and then a potential deal among ByteDance, Oracle and Walmart emerged. However, the US administration offered no feedback in nearly two months.

 TikTok said in a statement earlier that it had asked the US government for a 30-day extension because it was “facing continual new requests and no clarity on whether our proposed solutions would be accepted.”

On Thursday, the US Commerce Department said it will not enforce an order to ban TikTok “pending further legal developments,” citing a recent ruling by the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

Judge Wendy Beetlestone ruled on October 30 that she found the US government's “own descriptions of the national security threat posed by the TikTok app are phrased in the hypothetical,” and therefore she could not find that “the risk presented by the government outweighs the public interest in enjoining” the ban. ­– Bernama, November 14, 2020

Related News

Business / 3h

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Malaysia / 1w

Two podcasters remanded for two days over alleged controversial episode

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit